Board index » General Forum

Post subject: A fond Rickenbacker memory
 Post Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:15 pm 

Hi! I just joined the forum after buying my first Rickenbacker. I hope I won't be boring anybody with my story. I just want to share a memory that is very fond to me and that is in part responsible for my love of Rickenbacker guitars. Please excuse my sometimes unusual choice of words as I am a french speaking Canadian who rarely gets to write in english.

It was 1965. I was 14. Like so many teenagers at that time, I was a big fan of The Beatles and their music. I knew almost every one of their songs and I was learning to play some of them on the acoustic guitar my parents had bought me.

Since we lived in a small town near Montreal where there were very few music stores, two of my friends and I sometimes took the bus to the «big city» to browse in the stores and perhaps buy a record or two and/or some sheet music.

On that autumn Saturday, our little trip led us at Eaton's, a big department store that had a huge music department. There, while browsing in the alleys, our attention was drawn to a locked glass display that contained two guitars : a Rickenbacker 325 just like John Lennon's and a 360/12 exactly like the one George Harrison played in A Hard Day's Night.

Wow! Needless to say we were impressed. We had never seen a Rickenbacker «live» before and these two new and shiny instruments were more beautiful than the ones we had seen in magazines or on film. Even though it wasn't like meeting The Beatles in person, we were looking at something that related directly to them.

We spent long minutes admiring the two guitars as close as we could, examining every detail. I don't recall the price of the 325 but I remember the cost of the 12 string : 500$. For teens like us, even the price was impressive!

Ever since that day, Rickenbackers have had a special place in my heart. For their beautiful looks, for their aura as high end musical instruments and for their link with The Beatles.

After ceasing to play guitar for many years, I started again in 2017 when I retired. And just a few weeks ago, I bought a very nice 330 Jetglo on eBay. A longtime fantasy finally fulfilled.

Post subject: Re: A fond Rickenbacker memory
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:21 pm 

Congrats on your newly purchased 330. There's nothing quite like a Rick..!

Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:09 am 

Thanks Ricslinger,

You're right, my 330 is a pleasure to play and to hear. I'm real proud to be now a member of the Rickenbacker community.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:38 pm 

Nice one, you and I are of the same generation. I bought my first Ricky last month, a 620 mapleglow. Love it.

I've been messing around with Fenders and Gibsons for years, still love them, but acquiring a Ricky has opened up a whole new arena for me.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:16 am 

What a wonderful story. I too grew up in the Montreal area in Greenfield Park. I got my first electric guitar in 1970, a Granada 5202T made by Matsumoku. I too gave up playing guitar for many years, but last summer bought a Rickenbacker 370/12 fireglow due to the Beatles and Byrds connections.

The memories of Expo '67 are especially fond, and with all due respect to San Francisco, was the real summer of love. Downtown Eatons was huge and you could buy anything there. Unlike the chain stores of today, there were no suburban outlets for the marquee stores. And while I live in the US now, Montreal will always be in my heart.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:40 am 

I also have a fond Ric memory to share.
The year was 1979 and my older brother who was very private and hardly ever left his room because of his love of playing guitar, well one day he received a phone call.

So my mother yelled upstairs for me to tell him he had a call, I was sitting at the top of the stairs outside his room where I always sat to listen to him play, I can remember the morning sunlight shining through the window over the stairwell as he was playing The Allman Brother's song Blue Sky.

As he finished I knocked on the door and told him he had a call from which ever girl he was seeing at the time and when he left his room to answer the phone he bent down and pointed his finger at me and said "stay out of my room" which I always did to avoid a butt kicking.

However when he left the room, to my amazement he slammed the door shut so fast and hard that it didn't catch and it swung open as he went down to answer the phone.
So I leaned over to look in the room, past his stereo and beyond the big silver morley pedal and cables on the floor, past his Silverface Fender Princeton, There under his window I saw this midnight blue guitar sitting upright in a stand.....and if anyone remembers that scene in 10 when Bo Derek is running along the beach...that's what it felt like when I saw this guitar.

It was thin but had rounded upper and lower bouts, and it had this cool cut out, almost shaped like a pointed tear drop, and the reflected sunlight on that dark midnight blue with that glossy neck and pointed inlays that seemed to kind of match the cut out in the body, it just all flowed together so nicely,
I just couldn't stop staring at it, and my brother eventually came running up the stairs past me again, and he said "did you open my door?", and I said "no you slammed it so hard it didn't shut", and then I asked him, "what kind of guitar is that your playing", and he said "thats my Rickenbacker now get away from my room", which is about as much conversation as two siblings could have with me being 10 and him being 17, but I was in love with that guitar.

Years later upon my request my brother taught me to play guitar, and as years passed, now me being 49 and him 56 eventually I bought my own midnight blue Ric-360, which I will cherish forvever,but sadly he no longer has his, now he plays a 1984 Gibson SG which is also nice but not as nice as his Ric.

However since he is responsible for giving me the great gift of playing guitar, I might let him take a stroll down memory lane to remind him of the guitar he regrettably sold and allow him to play my midnight blue Rickenbacker 360 one day.......Maybe.

Board index » General Forum