Board index » General Forum

Post subject: Hello from North Carolina
 Post Posted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:45 pm 

Hey guys,
New to site from North Carolina. Bought my first Rick in 1977 at a music store in Charlotte, NC. It is a 4001 bass, 1973. Paid $300 back then & the frets were worn down in a bad way. It had flatwounds on it. Took bass to a luthier in the area that was well known back than as an excellent repair person on all guitars & basses. Got back a couple weeks later & replaced the flatwounds with roundwounds. Since then I have played the bass consistently & noticed a couple years ago the frets going again. Tried to finds the same luthier I used before. He had become somewhat of a legend around the state but after 35 years, I didn't know where to find him. Tried to track him down as he was no longer in Charlotte & called some places that listed a person with his same last name. After a while, I got a call on my cell phone & it was him! He was back in Charlotte so I quickly took the bass to him. After a couple weeks, I got it back & he had done his magic once again! I really love the 4001 & will never part with it!

I also bought a Rick 620 Fireglo, 2005 off of EBay back in 2007. I love this guitar! The tone is amazing & the thin body just hugs you as you play. This is my go to guitar for all electric applications, live or recording!

Glad to be part of the forums!

2008 Fender American Standard Stratocaster Sienna Sunburst

Post subject: Re: Hello from North Carolina
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:54 am 

That is a great story. When you find someone who you can trust with your guitars they are worth hanging on to.
You had better make a booking for another refret in another 37 years time!

Post Posted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:17 pm 

Welcome! Yes that is a good story. So that bass has now had the original fret replaced, and now another, it's been well played and still going strong. A good luthier is worth stalking, I must confess I've done it myself! ;) I wish all my guitars had stainless steel frets, I've had 2 refreted with stainless steel frets and they last much longer, I didn't notice any significant change in tone. Sure they cost a bit more to have installed initially but I believe in the long run they maybe more economical.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:24 am 

We're pretty blessed here in Charlotte with Ric Luthiers. I know of 3 that I trust completely. 2 work together in one shop and the other is in the Spongetones.

Board index » General Forum