Board index » General Forum

Post subject: 620 finish flaking off
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:46 pm 

Hey guys. I have a 2005 620 fireglo & the finish is starting to flake off like it has become brittle. It doesn't go below the sheen but it appears that maybe it is from heat or sweat where my forearm rests over the top front of the guitar body. I've tried to clean it lightly but it just continues to flake off. It can't be seen from a distance or even a bit close but if you inspect it (as all of us guitar players do to our pride & joy), it is there. Rickenbacker makes it clear they don't cover this in their warranty & I understand their reasoning but I don't want to see the whole front of the guitar eventually flake off leaving a dull sheen behind. It almost reminds me of getting sunburned & the after affects, when the dry skin begins flaking off. Anyone else with this problem?

2008 Fender American Standard Stratocaster Sienna Sunburst

Post subject: Re: 620 finish flaking off
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:06 am 

I have not had any finish problems with my 2005 fireglo 330. Has your 620 been out in the heat or the cold (in a car?) and then subjected to rapid temperature change (such as opening the case indoors)? That sort of temperature extremes caused finish checking on my 1965 Gibson, but nothing actually flaked off (just lots of fine-line cracks). How about swings in the humidity from summer to winter? I think that usually causes wood problems, not finish problems, but I suppose if the wood shrinks or swells with changes in the humidity, that might affect the finish too.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:39 pm 

I can't think of any drastic changes in temp or humidity. I always keep the guitar in the case in the closet when not playing. Thanks for responding. Hope I can stop this issue from continuing.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:19 pm 

This might sound strange, but is it possible your antiperspirant is rubbing against parts of the finish? I handled my 620BBR with extreme care and caution the first few years I owned it (not that I wreck it, now) and it has some slight smudging on the finish. I sit down to play and have a tendency lean over the guitar. The only thing I figured is maybe some antiperspirant got on there once and had a strange reaction with the finish.

It's never peeled off or flaked, but the smudge has been driving me nuts for years.

My 620 was also produced in 2005, for reference. My 2008 360/12MID does not have this issue.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:47 pm 

Thanks for the thought, but I always play standing up so it is not near my underarm. It is really odd that this has happened & it seems to be unique to my guitar. I figured there would be quite a few people out there experiencing the same problem. Hope to figure it out someday :roll:

Board index » General Forum