Board index » General Forum

Post subject: Why are Rickenbackers so expensive in the UK?
 Post Posted: Sat May 10, 2014 7:53 am 

Hey everyone,

When I bought my 325C64 back in 2008 I actually went on holiday to the states, picked it up when I was there and brought it home with me. It was still cheaper to do all that than to buy it in the UK!

I saw one for sale in a shop in Glasgow recently for the best part of £3,000, which is nearly $5,000!

Is is Rosetti that set the prices in Europe? I can't help but feel the prices over here put some people off getting a Rickenbacker, which is a real shame!

Thanks, Rory

Post subject: Re: Why are Rickenbackers so expensive in the UK?
 Post Posted: Sat May 10, 2014 9:12 am 

Shipping, importing... It's not like Rickenbacker has a factory in Europe. ;)

Post Posted: Sat May 10, 2014 11:38 am 

And don't forget taxes and import duties.

Yes, it's the distributors and dealers who set the final retail price...

Post Posted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:37 pm 

A friend of mine, who works in a branch of probably the UKs largest guitar retail chain, said that prices here are strictly controlled by RIC. I don't know if this is the case or not, but it would make sense as prices don't vary much from shop to shop.
Given Rickenbacker's desireability and relative scarcity here in the UK they could probably get away with charging a lot more!

Post Posted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:21 am 

Well, yeah, RIC does strictly control the price at which they sell them to the distributors, but I've heard from a very reliable source that this is actually lower than what US dealers pay since RIC doesn't cover the warranty abroad.

So, yes, it's the distributors and dealers who control what the final price to the customer will be...

Post Posted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:34 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

PaulGibson wrote:
A friend of mine, who works in a branch of probably the UKs largest guitar retail chain, said that prices here are strictly controlled by RIC. I don't know if this is the case or not, but it would make sense as prices don't vary much from shop to shop.

Your friend is seriously misinformed. We exert no control whatsoever with regard to pricing in the U.K., actually nowhere on earth! The selling price is set entirely by the selling dealer.

Actually, price controls like this are most likely illegal within the EC, just as they are here. In any case, this would go completely against our company philosophy as we have always been very pro-consumer, for instance, absolutely refusing to establish a Minimum Advertised Price (MAP) policy in the US, when most other companies do this as a regular part of their business.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:46 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

rory wrote:
I saw one for sale in a shop in Glasgow recently for the best part of £3,000, which is nearly $5,000!

I just used the calculator at www.dutycalculator.com to run some numbers.

At retail, the landed price of a 325C64 would be US$4627.92 or £2753.89. That would not allow the dealer any profit whatsoever or any margin for the distributor to provide warranty, promotion, or customer service. It's the British government and the shipping companies that are driving the prices.

Also, in your example, you didn't state whether you paid the proper duty and VAT on entry; many people are a bit "creative" on private importation. That "savings" may or may not work out if any warranty service or customer care is needed down the road.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:55 am 

Yes, it is all down to the horrendous duty we have to pay on imports from outside the EEC - one of the benefits of being "European" ... Grrrrrrrrrrrr!

Post Posted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:06 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The duty is not so bad. It's the VAT. You also have to remember that prices in the USA are quoted WITHOUT taxes, which will then be added when the goods are rung up. Prices in the UK are normally quoted WITH VAT included. Many people forget to make an adjustment for that factor when they compare.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:48 pm 

And those taxes in the US can vary quite a bit, from nothing to somewhere around 12%, depending on just where you live...

Board index » General Forum