Board index » General Forum

Post subject: Re: Why are Rickenbackers so expensive in the UK?
 Post Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:41 am 

Her Majesties Revenue and Customs don't miss much!

VAT in the UK is now 20%, when bought the guitar it was 17.5%

Even then VAT was only a couple of hundred pounds. I know there is the RSP from RIC, but most places when you enquire give you an actual price significantly lower than that. In the UK they don't do deals at all, hence why prices are more like the RSP when you add on VAT and the likes.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:37 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

rory wrote:
In the UK they don't do deals at all, hence why prices are more like the RSP when you add on VAT and the likes.

That's just a difference in dealer trading style between the UK and other parts of the world. In fact, consumers ultimately control this- if they won't pay the price the dealers want, then the dealer either has to fold shop or come down.

However, the UK dealers may in fact be more astute businessmen as many American dealers really run on the ragged edge of profitability, which then translates into limited longevity. Also, the cost of doing business in the UK is significantly greater, ranging from much higher electricity costs to more stringent employment law.

Really, a better title to this thread would be "Why are <insert favorite non-EC imported goods> so expensive in the UK?

Post Posted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:35 pm 

Lets put it in simple terms,

Rickenbacker sells guitar to guitar company uk, guitar company pay taxes and import fees. Guitar company sell on guitar cost price plus said taxes and fees plus mark up (if they dont make profit they dont exist)

Lets to say mr hall started taking paypal payments and sold direct to individuals in uk, there would still be shipping, customs and what ever next fees our crapy government come up with.

I dont think guitar shops over here are over priced, i bought a great example of sound control last year and there was a bit of movement in price but you have respect the retailer has to make money too. At the end of the day the retailer is your point of contact should anything go wrong.

The best thing im hoping for is that Scotland gets independence and we get some sort of direct tax free connection with Cali, can you arrange a dossier to be sent to my parliament John? Its just im hoping to add a 620 and a 4003 to my collection soon :D

Post Posted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:04 pm 

coco-jambo wrote:
...you have respect the retailer has to make money too.

Not in America! :mrgreen: The consumers here really try to beat the retail stores into the lowest possible (or even lower) prices, and they're doing a great job of it, too. :shock: When I was doing retail pro photography sales in L.A. we worked on extremely slim margins due to intense competition, not a fun way to make a living.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:14 pm 

jps wrote:
coco-jambo wrote:
...you have respect the retailer has to make money too.

Not in America! :mrgreen: The consumers here really try to beat the retail stores into the lowest possible (or even lower) prices, and they're doing a great job of it, too. :shock: When I was doing retail pro photography sales in L.A. we worked on extremely slim margins due to intense competition, not a fun way to make a living.

thats scary, i would hate to run a business in that market. think i will stick to fixing fridges on the books lol

Post Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:53 am 

The UK isn't the only place with expensive Ricks, try to buy one in New Zealand... IF you can even find one in New Zealand...
:shock: :roll:

Post Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:02 pm 

cjj wrote:
...Ricks, try to buy one in New Zealand... IF you can even find one in New Zealand...

I'd bet there's going to be a few more there pretty soon. 8-)

Post Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:58 pm 

jps wrote:
cjj wrote:
...Ricks, try to buy one in New Zealand... IF you can even find one in New Zealand...

I'd bet there's going to be a few more there pretty soon. 8-)

Yeah... but they ain't for sale!
:mrgreen:

Post Posted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:18 am 

coco-jambo wrote:

I dont think guitar shops over here are over priced, i bought a great example of sound control last year and there was a bit of movement in price but you have respect the retailer has to make money too. At the end of the day the retailer is your point of contact should anything go wrong.

The best thing im hoping for is that Scotland gets independence and we get some sort of direct tax free connection with Cali, can you arrange a dossier to be sent to my parliament John? Its just im hoping to add a 620 and a 4003 to my collection soon :D

Yeah there are deals out there, I got a great price for a telecaster from guitar guitar many moons ago! The best deal I ever saw was about 13 years ago in the old macormacks music store in bath street, they were selling one of the super rare 325-12v63 for £999. I used to go in regularly and play it, unfortunately I was only 15 at the time and couldn't get the money together for it! Then they had a 20% off day and someone bought it. I was devastated!

It will be interesting if Scotland gets independence and they have to sit out with the EU for a few years, if this would affect trading prices?

Board index » General Forum