Board index » General Forum

Post subject: Removing strings for 24 hours
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:32 pm 

Hi all

Sorry about another question on flying with a Rickenbacker! I've posted this on another forum as well so apologies for any overlap.

I've got a good quality Hiscox hard case so I'm going to check my 330 in baggage and hope all is well. The worry I have is it getting lost or stolen.

To that end, it's crossed my mind to remove as much hardware as possible and put it in my hand luggage. I'm thinking mainly the nameplate and R tailpiece. Both are expensive to replace and the guitar isn't half as attractive to steal without them.

Obviously without the R tailpiece I have to remove the strings. Would the guitar be ok unstrung for 24 hours whilst being transported? I know the manual says to leave it tuned at pitch which I always do.

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Removing strings for 24 hours
 Post Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:31 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Others will disagree with me but my experience is that the most stable instruments are those that are kept strung continuously, even during restringing. Each time the guitar is unstrung, the wood flexes, which means that some cells of the cellulose that make up wood are being expanded and others stretched. Each time this happens, the wood becomes more limber . . . great for the top of an acoustic guitar . . . but the bane of wood in a neck.

Honestly, I don't think taking the parts off the instrument will make it any less attractive to steal. It's not like a crook is going to open your case, look at the instrument, and then decide whether to take it. He's just going to grab the whole case and check out the contents later.

You could put a sticker on the outside saying "Flatland Banjo Company" or "Lowland Bagpipe Ltd." which might make the thief think twice.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:47 am 

Thanks Mr Hall!

At least if the worst happened and someone nicked it i would some comfort that its useless to them unless they spend a fair bit of cash.

If it does have bagpipes on the side I would happily chuck it down a baggage chute! Cant stand the sound of the things, goes right through me!

Post Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:15 pm 

+1 to what Mr. JH said. For years, Eric Clapton's "Blackie" was in a flight case stenciled, "Snarling Dogs Blues Band."

Post Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:48 pm 

Rickyrules wrote:

If it does have bagpipes on the side I would happily chuck it down a baggage chute! Cant stand the sound of the things, goes right through me!

Your not wrong there mate, there the Devil's work and no mistakin' ! :twisted:

Post Posted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:36 am 

"You could put a sticker on the outside saying "Flatland Banjo Company" or "Lowland Bagpipe Ltd." which might make the thief think twice."
I guess this would be like putting a sticker on your car that says " Equipped with a genuine 8-track stereo"..... :lol:

Post Posted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:55 pm 

Hi all

As far as I can tell the Ricky seems to have survived 3 flights and 6000 miles in one piece.

I put it in its case, which I put inside a box that a guitar shop gave me. I packed all round it, gaffa taped it up, shrink wrapped it at the airport and plastered it in fragile stickers. One slightly worrying moment at Dubai when the check in person called a porter to take it as oversize baggage. He carried it off to his desk and wandered off, leaving it all alone!

Anyway, thanks for all the advice!

Board index » General Forum