Board index » General Forum

Post subject: Ric Custom Shop?
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:38 pm 

Been lurking for a bit and haven't found much reference, but does Ric have a custom shop? Or, is Ric willing to take commissions on modifications to their standard designs? What are their boundaries for customized orders?

For example, can I get an ebony fretboard and real pearl inlays on a 4003? Can I get a 660 with gold hardware and 3 pickups?

Can anyone share their experiences with me or give some guidance on this?

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Ric Custom Shop?
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:34 pm 

Mr. Hall has indicated that they don't have time to do custom work because they have a huge backlog of their standard issue instruments that they can't keep up with.

I feel blessed to have had the opportunity to purchase two of the special editions that they have released this year, namely the 4003W (Walnut) and the 4001S Special (Guitar Center exclusive) basses. I sure would like to get my hands on the 4003 Fire Alarm Red bass with the maple fingerboard and checkered binding (exclusive release for the German market).

Post Posted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:10 am 

The boutique has many parts available, like push-pull switches, the various pickups, different gauged strings, etc., that facilitate a player to customize an instrument. I purchased several of the older-style DPDT push-pulls to modify several instruments I own, including both RIC instruments and others.

There are also several after-market companies that produce different thumb rest, pickup surround, pickguard, whammy, tailpiece, and even more pickup options. I personally do not care for their products, but they are out there.

Custom Shop? Most custom shop requests would be solved with the development of a "Toaster Bucker."

Post Posted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:10 am 

I consider the entire Rickenbacker factory a custom shop. There are quite a number of options you can order besides the wide variety of instruments, vintage and modern.

Even more importantly, the construction and finish quality of an off-the-shelf Rick product is equal to or better than most anybody's "custom shop" instrument.

Board index » General Forum