Board index » General Forum

Post subject: The One That Got Away And Returned
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:55 am 

About 13 years ago I was going through a divorce and was pressured into selling my 1998 360 Jetglo. I proceeded to sell it on one of the internet auction websites and regretted the decision as soon as I shipped the guitar. Time went by, the wife is now the ex wife, moved to another state and now have a wonderful girlfriend who is very supportive of my music and loves the Rickenbacker sound (We now gig together as a duo). I told her about the RIC 360 and she suggested that I try to find one similar to the one that I had. I then went back to the auction site and saw a 1998 360 Jetglo (This was about 3 years ago, 10 years after I sold mine. I then placed a bid on it ($50.00 More that what I sold mine for. I won the auction and the guitar was shipped to me. When received, I noticed that it had a slight ding in the neck binding like the one that I sold. At that point I checked the serial # on the guitar. Being somewhat anal and having saved the old serial #, I checked the numbers and the guitar was the one that I sold 10 years earlier. An old friend has come home.
The moral here is not to be pressured or make any hasty decisions.
Any other Rickenbacker Stories?? would love to see them posted here

Steve

Post subject: Re: The One That Got Away And Returned
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:01 am 

Great story thanks for sharing, perhaps you should name the 360 Boomerang! ;)

Post Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:46 am 

You are so lucky having the support of your partner.Don't leave it in a taxi.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:14 am 

That was lucky. I sold my 1981 360 and then saw it on Craigslist a few years later, which was nice because I'd lost my only picture of it. I wouldn't want it back, though. It had a more curved fretboard radius compared to modern 360s that I couldn't get used to.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:09 pm 

Sometime in the early '70's I decided to sell my double 8 Ric steel. I sold it to a guy I had known for years, so I always knew where it was. A couple of years later I regretted the sale and my dear wife bought it back from the guy for the same $125 that I sold it for. She gave it to me for Christmas that year. It turns out the guy I sold it to was struggling with cancer and wanted to clean out his house. I am forever grateful. I did have two Rics from the '60's that got away and I have no idea where they were: a Jetglo 625 and Jetglo 450/12. Today I have: 660/12 Mapleglo, Jetglo 320, Mapleglo 325V59 and 650S. Thanks for reading. RG

Post Posted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:55 am 

Great! The same thing happened to my ex-father-in-law's shotgun. It is now safely in his gun case, again. Now, please send some of your mojo my way so I can recover my dad's trumpet that was stolen from me all those years ago.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:46 pm 

Believe it or not, my husband is trying to pressure me into selling my '96 325v63 that I've had for 14 years (owned 3 years before we met). I get that money is tight, but we have a $13,000 mistake of a boat sitting in our driveway that we haven't used since 2008, one would think that the boat would be wise to sell before it's totally worthless.

I have no other guitars and this is my dream instrument. It's my baby, so he thinks since I hadn't played it much, it won't bother me if I sell it. I don't think so. I paid $1075 in 2000 and it's costly to even think of replacing it. He isn't a musician and not a Beatle fan, so he just doesn't get how devastating a blow it would be if I parted with my Ric.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:32 pm 

Girllennon - I too have a spouse who doesn't understand how important my guitar(s) are to me. They are more like old friends which she will never understand. They have helped me get through some difficult times and I can't imagine parting with them, especially one in particular. I hope you are able to convince your husband what this guitar means to you as I'm sure you will regret selling it as so many others on this forum have experienced. Good luck and I'm sure in Florida you should be able to find someone who might get some use out of your boat. I almost got divorced over my guitars but I stuck to my guns and have been able to hold on to them so far.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:48 am 

girllennon wrote:
Believe it or not, my husband is trying to pressure me into selling my '96 325v63 that I've had for 14 years (owned 3 years before we met). I get that money is tight, but we have a $13,000 mistake of a boat sitting in our driveway that we haven't used since 2008, one would think that the boat would be wise to sell before it's totally worthless.

I have no other guitars and this is my dream instrument. It's my baby, so he thinks since I hadn't played it much, it won't bother me if I sell it. I don't think so. I paid $1075 in 2000 and it's costly to even think of replacing it. He isn't a musician and not a Beatle fan, so he just doesn't get how devastating a blow it would be if I parted with my Ric.

Howdy,

Please do not give in to the pressure. Spouses usually do not understand our attachment to our Rickenbackers. Since he is not into The Beatles and not a musician there is no way that he can understand this. In all fairness to him, he is probably attached to the boat. Maybe I am am anomaly since I also live in Florida and am not a boat person. The moral....if you do sell the guitar not only will you regret it, but you may also start feeling resentment towards your husband for pressuring you. Good luck!

Steve

Post Posted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:33 pm 

I lost my August 1977 Jetglo 320 in 1990. It was one of three RICS I had in my teenage years.

My mum liquidated all my gear when I was stranded in the UK. It took 17 years to get it back and while it was out of my possession it survived a rather nasty fire (note the scorch marks on the 10th fret). I replaced the white plastic but the rest of it is all original. Up to 10 Rickenbackers now but this one is special. :P

I think if it is meant to be they find you again...

67 FG 625
74 JG 4000
76 JG 430
77 JG 620
77 JG 320
79 JG 4001
80 FG 620/12
81 BG 480
91 JG 610
02 BG 620

Amps -
78 TR7