Board index » General Forum

Post subject: Re: The One That Got Away And Returned
 Post Posted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:26 pm 

flyingeagle wrote:
girllennon wrote:
Believe it or not, my husband is trying to pressure me into selling my '96 325v63 that I've had for 14 years (owned 3 years before we met). I get that money is tight, but we have a $13,000 mistake of a boat sitting in our driveway that we haven't used since 2008, one would think that the boat would be wise to sell before it's totally worthless.

I have no other guitars and this is my dream instrument. It's my baby, so he thinks since I hadn't played it much, it won't bother me if I sell it. I don't think so. I paid $1075 in 2000 and it's costly to even think of replacing it. He isn't a musician and not a Beatle fan, so he just doesn't get how devastating a blow it would be if I parted with my Ric.

Howdy,

Please do not give in to the pressure. Spouses usually do not understand our attachment to our Rickenbackers. Since he is not into The Beatles and not a musician there is no way that he can understand this. In all fairness to him, he is probably attached to the boat. Maybe I am am anomaly since I also live in Florida and am not a boat person. The moral....if you do sell the guitar not only will you regret it, but you may also start feeling resentment towards your husband for pressuring you. Good luck!

Steve

He's not attached to the boat but thinks he will take a major loss if he sells it. He thinks, "okay, she can sell the ric and then replace it eventually". I am already in resentment mode since he promised me that I would never sell it. I'm not a material person, but besides family photos and videos, its a possession that would devastate me if I lost it. I wish he could see it from my perspective :(

Post Posted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:26 pm 

This is an emotional issue with me. I have two ex-wives, that the first thing they tried to "make" me do was sell my instruments, especially, "the ones I don't play anymore." There are other more foundational reasons they are now ex's, but I don't put up with that. My answer was for them to find a hobby and I'd help finance it. (I was the only breadwinner in each case). They did not. You have my utmost sympathies and empathies of having to endure a person who does not appreciate the value that performing arts can bring to a relationship. Good luck. PM if you need to vent.
girllennon wrote:
Believe it or not, my husband is trying to pressure me into selling my '96 325v63 that I've had for 14 years (owned 3 years before we met). I get that money is tight, but we have a $13,000 mistake of a boat sitting in our driveway that we haven't used since 2008, one would think that the boat would be wise to sell before it's totally worthless.

I have no other guitars and this is my dream instrument. It's my baby, so he thinks since I hadn't played it much, it won't bother me if I sell it. I don't think so. I paid $1075 in 2000 and it's costly to even think of replacing it. He isn't a musician and not a Beatle fan, so he just doesn't get how devastating a blow it would be if I parted with my Ric.

I've had to sell instruments in the past to make house payments, but that was my decision, not theirs. Don't do anything that is not completely, absolutely your decision, including staying with your current spouse.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:42 am 

GirlLennon,I'm sorry to read of your predicament. I hope you can both sort out your differences as far as your Ric goes. I say stay firm and don't sell it. It's something you will regret as soon as the buyer walks out the door.
I wish you good luck and hope it all works out for you both.
Maybe show him the Ric forum and maybe he will see the passion of Ric owners.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:33 am 

Thanks. I am glad I'm not alone in how I feel. I'd sooner sell my engagement ring than sell my Ric.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:27 pm 

girllennon wrote:
Thanks. I am glad I'm not alone in how I feel. I'd sooner sell my engagement ring than sell my Ric.

That's an idea...Just kidding
Seriously, if you told your husband that you were selling your engagement ring he may then get the message about how you feel about the Rickenbacker. I don't mean for you to sell either, but he may just get the point. Again Good luck.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:41 pm 

Flyingeagle I'm so glad you were able to get your guitar back from the very brink.

If ever a partner insists you sell your guitar or soul.... say no! Be prepared to repeat it

Partners cannot be brought back from the brink you need a miracle of magnitude 8.5 min to do that. I study ecology.... when your partners goes on the brink and has reached this critically endangered stage, this indicates the eco-system around them can no longer support life.......... it's just a waste of time. Send them to a zoological refuse not refuge.

I don't ever want to deal with them

I suppose this comment may surprise you from a fellow musician. Who's inflections are usually considered in their thought, words, music and sensitivities.

I deal with my women, guitar and demons in the very same manner

They come and go when I tell them to.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:50 pm 

jbudweiser wrote:

If ever a partner insists you sell your guitar or soul.... say no! Be prepared to repeat it

Not to worry. That is a mistake that I will never repeat! I'm just glad that i got that one back and learned from the mistake at the same time

Post Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:56 am 

RIC people are probably tired of me telling this story, but it's similar to yours, and the outcome made me very, very happy.

http://jmcnicholas.com/bloghome/2014/7/ ... enny-howes

Post Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:20 pm 

Somewhat typical story...

I purchased my first 4003JG back in 1985 for all the typical reasons (the tone, the look, Geddy[!]). At the time, I was in college and playing in a band. When I left the band, I slowly started to divest myself of my gear but not the 4003. Held on to it for almost a year, but very reluctantly sold the 4003 to pay down some student debt.

Fast forward to 1991...

I'm in a pawn shop and see a 4003JG on a stand. I play it for a while and notice a small chip on the crest of the headstock, similar to the self inflicted wound I caused by accidentally inserting it into an old fan while it was running (old fans didn't have much of a cage around the blades).

I also noticed some scratches on the bridge similar to the scratches I caused when I tried to adjust its intonation without loosening the strings (just call me young & stupid). I didn't even think to make note of the serial number -- I didn't know what mine was to begin with as I didn't save any of the original paperwork (just the polishing cloth).

So I thought, nah, this couldn't be mine and even if it was, I wasn't in a position to afford the "luxury" of buying any bass at that time. So I walked out of the pawn shop without it.

But I did leave with a seed of doubt that has bugged me for the last 24 years.

A few years after the pawn shop visit, I called Rickenbacker and asked if they had my registration info. Of course they did. And now I had a serial number, just in case I came across another 4003 that seemed familiar. This was pre-Google and most of these forums, so I've had to wait for the Internet to grow before I could start keeping a digital eye out for it.

Now I've got RSS feeds to searches on eBay, Reverb, Google, etc...

1985 Rickenbacker 4003 Jetglo YE-0849

I've even entered the SN# on the Rickenbacker Register. My wife and I have an agreement, if I ever come across this bass again, no discussion is necessary for this "luxury" purchase.

I just did an even trade (Les Paul Custom) for a brand new 2015 4003JG at my locally owned music shop. This is only the second Rick I've owned. I do like the adjustable poles on the pickups and thanks to YouTube and forums such as this, I (hopefully) won't make any ghastly setup errors such as the previously mentioned intonation debacle.

But for sentimental reasons, I would love to find that first 4003. I owned it for just under two years, but it was during a fantastic time of creativity, camaraderie, and hope.

Chances are it will never come my way again. Maybe the present owner (if the bass still exists) doesn't participate in forums. Or maybe doesn't want to sell it.

But, in the off chance anyone does... please let me know if you come across it. :-)

Post Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:25 pm 

Somewhat typical story...

I purchased my first 4003JG back in 1985 for all the typical reasons (the tone, the look, Geddy[!]). At the time, I was in college and playing in a band. When I left the band, I slowly started to divest myself of my gear but not the 4003. Held on to it for almost a year, but very reluctantly sold the 4003 to pay down some student debt.

Fast forward to 1991...

I'm in a pawn shop and see a 4003JG on a stand. I play it for a while and notice a small chip on the crest of the headstock, similar to the self inflicted wound I caused by accidentally inserting it into an old fan while it was running (old fans didn't have much of a cage around the blades).

I also noticed some scratches on the bridge similar to the scratches I caused when I tried to adjust its intonation without loosening the strings (just call me young & stupid). I didn't even think to make note of the serial number -- I didn't know what mine was to begin with as I didn't save any of the original paperwork (just the polishing cloth).

So I thought, nah, this couldn't be mine and even if it was, I wasn't in a position to afford the "luxury" of buying any bass at that time. So I walked out of the pawn shop without it.

But I did leave with a seed of doubt that has bugged me for the last 24 years.

A few years after the pawn shop visit, I called Rickenbacker and asked if they had my registration info. Of course they did. And now I had a serial number, just in case I came across another 4003 that seemed familiar. This was pre-Google and most of these forums, so I've had to wait for the Internet to grow before I could start keeping a digital eye out for it.

Now I've got RSS feeds to searches on eBay, Reverb, Google, etc...

1985 Rickenbacker 4003 Jetglo YE-0849

I've even entered the SN# on the Rickenbacker Register. My wife and I have an agreement, if I ever come across this bass again, no discussion is necessary for this "luxury" purchase.

I just did an even trade (Les Paul Custom) for a brand new 2015 4003JG at my locally owned music shop. This is only the second Rick I've owned. I do like the adjustable poles on the pickups and thanks to YouTube and forums such as this, I (hopefully) won't make any ghastly setup errors such as the previously mentioned intonation debacle.

But for sentimental reasons, I would love to find that first 4003. I owned it for just under two years, but it was during a fantastic time of creativity, camaraderie, and hope.

Chances are it will never come my way again. Maybe the present owner (if the bass still exists) doesn't participate in forums. Or maybe doesn't want to sell it.

But, in the off chance anyone does... please let me know if you come across it. :-)

Board index » General Forum