Board index » General Forum

Post subject: Is a Rickenbacker Right for Me ?
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:25 am 

Hey fellow guitarist's:

I've been a guitar player for over 25 years, and i've dabbled with a few strats over the years, but my primary sound has been humbuckers, i've had a variety of Gibson Les Pauls, SG's, and a few Epiphones and semi hollowbodys as well.

However recent financial straits has caused me to sell the majority of my guitar equipment, all thats left is some cables and tuners.

So i have to buy a new amp, some pedals and a new guitar with a portion of my upcoming tax refund, but this time around i want to buy something unique and something that will last a lifetime with me and the music i play, which is primarily blues and blues rock.
People like Clapton, SRV, Allman brothers, Buddy Guy, and so on, so needless to say i'm primarily a lead player and i love the blues.
My older brother who has been playing for 40 years also plays similar music and had a rickenbacker 330, and when i told him i was considering buying a Rickenbacker 360, he first said that it's a beautiful guitar, but he also told me that i must play one first, since i never played a Ric before, when i asked him why?

He told me that Ric's have a very unique look and feel to them, and people who pick one up and play them know immediately whether they love or hate them.

Now the problem is with me playing the Ric before i buy it is, no store near me has any stock on Rickenbackers, they can all order one, but Rickenbackers have a 2 year back log, so if you want one you have to buy it up front, aside from the fact that i don't want to wait 2 years for my new guitar.
However i know various online stores and Ebay have some new Rickenbacker 360's available.....but the question still remains how can i try one, my brother no longer has his, and no local stores have any.
I guess my question is, since my preference of guitar sound and feel of choice is a fat distorted humbucking sound, and i love the feel and play of a slim taper rosewood neck, is the Rickenbacker 360 that i've thought about for years a good choice for me?
Now i know i'm in a Rickenbacker forum, but i'm asking for honest, objective opinions based on the info i've given here, so please if anyone can offer some advice, i would greatly appreciate it.

Post subject: Re: Is a Rickenbacker Right for Me ?
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:11 am 

First step would be to watch the dozens and dozens of demo videos on youtube to see if that is the tone you are looking for.

Based upon what you have said above I would say a 650 would give you the sound you are looking for... But a 620 has all the classic features and is a very versatile guitar. I would recommend that as your first RIC. (I own 5 of them myself).

Lastly consider grabbing a used RIC before signing up to join the waiting list for a new one. 620 and 650 models tend to sell between $1000 and $1400 used in North America. If you decide that the guitar is not for you in the end you can sell it for what you paid for it.

Many RIC dealers have stock on the walls - check out the websites for Pick of the Ricks or Wildwood for example - and you can avoid the waiting list!

Good luck - RICS are not everyone's cup of tea - but they are amazing in the right hands.

67 FG 625
74 JG 4000
76 JG 430
77 JG 620
77 JG 320
79 JG 4001
80 FG 620/12
81 BG 480
91 JG 610
02 BG 620

Amps -
78 TR7
83 TR25

Post Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:45 am 

Thanks for the advice, i've got alot to think about.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:27 am 

I'd say no.
On the net there's Mr.Vintage Music who plays Zep on a 325 and Phil X;when he plays a 360 he mentions that,''you can play any type of music on any guitar.''You could also watch work by Spitefulload.I'd say a 330 is cooler than a 360.
On the other hand in his DVD,Roger Mcguinn mentions that some musicians wont touch these and he means the Clapton brigade.
In an ideal world you should be free to use what you want but I fear that your Les Paul mates will think you've gone to the dark side.No matter how many Stratocasters you subsequently get,you'll always be the dude who bought a Beatle's banjo.Drunken audiences will yell ''Yeah,Yeah,Yeah'' when you come on stage and someone will post it on youtube!
With all due respect to my Canadian colleague,I couldn't get excited about a 650.That's a guitar that's trying too hard.Mr.X and co seem to manage with our necks.Someone will ask you what it is and when you tell them everyone will start singing ''Love me do-oooo''.
Had you considered a Tele? They do our jangle,some come with humbuckers,it's a man's guitar and they're everywhere.Some of my heroes moved onto them from Rickenbacker.
In any case it's not what you use it's what you write.Pen a song,then,in a week or two if it makes the charts the girl'll tear you apart.At that point you can use the advance to buy as many Rickenbackers as you like (secretly of course).Come back on this forum and we'll tell you which one's to get.

PS:They say a Fender amp goes best with a Fender guitar but we'd probably say AC30.That's a different corner of the same argument.

PPS:Of course if you're brilliant it wont matter.Chrissy Hynde,whose opinion I respect greatly said recently that,''If a woman comes along who can play lke Jimi Hendrix,no one will ask her to take her clothes off''.I'd bet that several of us would rather like you to rub Mr.Bluesman's smug face in it(alcholic or otherwise).Maybe they'll say,''That good ol' boy can sure cry the blues on that fryin' pan''.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:21 am 

How about a 330 and spend a little extra to get two HB-1 humbuckers installed in it? You will have a classic guitar, and the HB-1's, just like other dual coil pickups, can be tapped to get a really bright jangle tone, and when in full series, give great drive for the heavier genres.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:29 pm 

First, I'll say that in my case, I didn't instantly love or hate Rickenbackers. I had a bit of a love/hate relationship going up to my third one. My first was a 360/12v64 and my second a 330. Loved the sounds - nothing else can make them, but didn't enjoy playing them so much. My third was a 660 and I think that helped me turn the corner. You get a bit more room to work with on the fret for bending strings and the neck feels a little more familiar. There are still plenty of 'unfamiliar' elements to Ricks, but I've since gotten past the love/hate thing. I'm up to 14 at this point and can set down a Gibson, pick up a Rick, and not really notice them feeling that different.

If your doing blues, the wider neck on a 650 or 660 would provide more room and might be a good choice. Others (330/360/620) will "work" as well, but there may be a bit more adaptation required. The 650s have more of a 'hardtail' bridge which generally gives a bit more sustain but deviates quite a bit from standard styling.

Then there's pickups. For blues, I'd tend to lean more toward toasters or hi gains. Neither the 650 or 660 generally come with high-gains, but they could be put in either model pretty easily.

My two cents....

Post Posted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:18 pm 

It was actually the 620 I was recommending as a first RIC. Sorry if that was unclear in my previous post.

I love my 620s! :P

67 FG 625
74 JG 4000
76 JG 430
77 JG 620
77 JG 320
79 JG 4001
80 FG 620/12
81 BG 480
91 JG 610
02 BG 620

Amps -
78 TR7
83 TR25

Post Posted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:45 pm 

I put my 370/12 into the mix not long after it arrived. We're a Celtic folk-pop group with a combo dance/concert repetiore, and it fits in seamlessly as far as we are concerned. About twice a set, we move over to Jimmy Buffett or someone similar and I play those on it. No one asks us for Beatles, and only occasionally do we get asked for McGuinn songs.

I wouldn't worry about getting beat up because of your guitar choice(s). Anyone who takes that kind of attitude is being somewhat off-base. Be an original! It's more fun in the long run.

"We are all musician.."

Post Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:26 pm 

I found that I preferred the solidbody 620 over my 360. I've posted several times about my negative experiences with my 360, but it was excellently built and sounded good.

I think hi-gain pickups are incredibly versatile and would fit any genre.

Board index » General Forum