Board index » General Forum

Post subject: First Ric, after waiting 50 years
 Post Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:31 am 

I'm new here, and recently acquired a beautiful Ric 360/6. I'm 63 years old, and have been playing guitar for 50 years. I can remember first seeing a Rickenbacker 50 years ago, as a 13 year old beginner visiting a small music shop in Columbus, Ohio. It was a 360, hanging right there on the wall. It was a beauty. I couldn't touch it, because it was way too expensive for me, and I had just started learning. But I had heard the Byrds' "Mr Tamborine Man", and knew that a Ric was a serious instrument.

For the next 50 years, I went through hundreds of guitars, but never a Ric. I played Gibson, Fender, Gretsch, PRS, and several other brands. I pretty much forgot about Rickenbacker, because there were none around where I lived. As I got older, and a more accomplished player, I always strived for diversity in my sound and style. I started to assemble an arsenal of various guitars, so that I could have lots of options for tone. But still no Ric. I thought about getting a Ric, but my research led me to believe I would not like the neck, and it would be difficult to play. After all, I was a lead player, and Rics are for chords right?

Anyway, I have been fortunate to own many expensive guitars in my lifetime. But over the past few years, I had become somewhat bored with hearing the same old sounds coming from my amps. I thought it might be time for a change. So, I went out on a limb, and made a trade that landed me a beautiful Fire-Glow 360/6. I've had it for about a week now. After a proper setup, I have it playing extremely well, with low action. I have not had any trouble adapting to the neck shape at all. I can play just about any style on it. I'm not really a Beatles fan, but I've been playing some Beatles songs on it, along with everything from blues to Hendrix. I haven't enjoyed playing guitar this much for years. I can't put the Ric down! The sound is amazing. I love the clear voice and notes that ring within a chord. It's a wonderful guitar, and one I should have bought 30 years ago. Oh well, better late than never.

For those of you who are on the ledge about getting a Ric, let me tell you not to hesitate. It is different from other guitars, but rewards you for adapting. Nothing else sounds like a Ric, and that sound is indeed glorious. If Angels played guitars, they would be Rickenbackers.

Post subject: Re: First Ric, after waiting 50 years
 Post Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:40 am 

Congrats. :P

You should also know that the profiles of the necks have changed over the years. The late 60's early 70's the profile is very slim. I have one from the early 2000's that feels like a baseball bat. They are currently very consistent somewhere in the middle.

So when you get a chance, try out different 360's.

Board index » General Forum