Board index » General Forum

Post subject: 2011 350V63 TUNERS, Questions...........
 Post Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:11 am 

I just bought a brand new 2011 350V63 from a registered Ric Dealer in Maryland. It has tuners on it that I have NEVER seen before on a Ric..... They look like repro's of the old 50's open-geared Grovers, BUT there's no name stamped in them at all. Are they Ric issue tuners, or have I been hornswaggled?

Secondly, I believe the Ric warranty, although this IS a "brand new guitar", never played or sold before, is out of date...... Correct? 5 years from actual "date of manufacture"?........ So that if someone buys a NOS Ric that's 5 years old, there is NO warranty..... Correct?

The truss cover was removed, most likely at the factory, for a final adjustment..... As is common, when it was removed, white paint stuck to the guitar head in 3 spots under the screws....you can see the "shadows" of the outlines under the plexi...... This ticks me no end, since they're SO EXPENSIVE when you can find them, and if I'm not mistaken again, Ric won't replace one that's defective like this......Correct again? Please chime in if I'm wrong. I'd like to send this one to the factory for a good replacement.

Please let me know what's up with this stuff if possible........Thanks.. Doc :( :(

Post subject: Re: 2011 350V63 TUNERS, Questions...........
 Post Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:26 pm 

Regarding the tuners, I'm by no means an expert, but my 350v63 doesn't have open backs and to the best of my knowledge, newer RIC tuners come in two variants - neither of them open. I think there may have some special models and/or one-offs with open tuners, but that's about it. (Photos?)

Regarding the warranty, you can read the details under the "Service" tab, above, but yeah, 5 years (except for 1 year on finish) from the date of manufacture.

Regarding the truss rod cover, I've seen that a couple of times on older guitars with plexi covers, but it seems to take a while to happen, so I doubt that's from the factory. Someone who actually knows might chime in, but I'd expect the truss rod covers aren't removed in the factory. They tend to ship as soon as they're finished, and it wouldn't make sense to put them on prior to final setup. My guess would be an adjustment by the dealer.

Not sure if the factory can/will help out on that. Your best bet would be customer service - but I think you might have other issues to resolve with the dealer.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:38 am 

I have seen the open back tuners on that model, they are the style that came with J.Lennons original 325. Most of the 350v63's have the standard old style on them, but there were a few (probably early issues) that came with the open back (Butter-Bean) style tuners. I think you lucked out on this one!! ;)

Post Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:34 am 

To answer first question, you have not been hornswoggled. There was a period in 2011 when the factory ran out of the 00565 vintage key winds and the most productive, although, inaccurate alternative was to use the 00575 vintage key wind which is open geared.
Concerning the question about the truss rod cover: Your suspicions are correct. the nameplates are not removed at the factory after they have been put on the instrument.
If you wish to replace the nameplate, the Rickenbacker Customer Service will be more than happy to work with you.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:18 am 

Look out,the boss is on the forum!! :lol: :lol:

Post Posted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:26 am 

As a final update on this 350v63, Ric got back to me directly, as did Ms. Hall on this forum with the correct information on the tuners..... They are indeed Ric issued, and from what I can gather, pretty rare on this model.....AND, I absolutely love 'em....they're smooth, and unique on this one.

As for the truss rod cover, there were slim-pickin's available online, so I contacted Ric Service Department who immediately sent instructions on how to return the damaged piece, and have a new replacement sent for a base price. It was easy and fast, and the part was perfect.... The guitar is back to beautiful. (I tried to attach a photo, but it won't work for some reason...)

My thanks to those who chimed in here with the info. and help, and my hat's off to the Ric Service Department!

Doc

Board index » General Forum