Board index » General Forum

Post subject: New member - First Ric
 Post Posted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:50 am 

Hi all. Just wanted to introduce myself. I just bought my first Ric last week - a beautiful ruby red 330/6 from 2014. Been trying to get up to speed on all the idiosyncrasies of Rics and set-up options, etc.

Only problem I'm having is that while the action is pretty nice and low, when I capo, there's major fret buzz. From what I've read so far on this forum and elsewhere, Ric necks are supposed to be flat, so while normally this might require a truss rod adjustment to provide a little more neck relief, on Rics you're supposed to leave the neck flat and just raise the bridge? Is that true?

Seems odd to me. Don't all guitars need a little neck relief so there's room for the strings to vibrate? i.e., the neck shouldn't be perfectly flat. What's different about Rics that they wouldn't need a little relief?

Anyway, other than that, I'm really enjoying this guitar. It has hi-gains, of course, which I like. I love the sound of vintage toasters, too - Tom Petty / Mike Campbell, George Harrison, Pete Townshend - but I also love the sound Paul Weller, Johnny Marr and Peter Buck get from their hi-gain equipped 330s/360s. I tend to go for a more overdriven sound rather than a clean sound, so the hi-gains perform marvelously in that regard.

I had to raise the bridge pup a bit to balance it out a bit with the neck pup. The neck pup won't go any lower. But I'm happy where it's at.

I put a set of D'addario 10s on it (there were 9s on it) and I may eventually go for 11s, maybe try the Ric strings, compressed or whatever. May try flatwounds at some point. Hey, experimenting and finding your own preferences is part of the fun, right?

Happy to be here in Ric-land.

Cheers
-j

Post subject: Re: New member - First Ric
 Post Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:01 am 

Here are some pics.

Attachment:
330 in case-sm.jpg [238.27 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

Attachment:
Ric 330 Vox Pathfinder-900px.jpg [158.13 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

Post Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:12 pm 

Beautiful, Congrats, and Welcome to the Rickenbacker Universe!

Post Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:41 pm 

Congrats on the Ruby Metallic, those are very nice! Concerning the capo, you might have too much bend in the neck somewhere.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:10 am 

Yes, that is a fine looking guitar. Congrats!

If you use a capo, the new “nut” (a fret) is lower than the (true) nut, so it makes sense that you might have to increase the action/string height somehow to avoid fret buzz. I’d start by adjusting the bridge, simply because Rick truss rods can sometimes be tricky. Maybe the 11s, if you put them on, might give you just enough relief to eliminate the buzz without doing anything else. Getting it adjusted so that playing is equally (reasonably) comfortable with both the capo on and off may take some patient experimentation, like you said. Anyway, if you adjust the truss rods, just limit each adjustment to a quarter turn and wait a day or so before evaluating your result and proceeding with further adjustment. Use the proper tool and don’t force (“muscle”) anything. That’s a fine guitar. Please report back on your progress.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:29 pm 

I agree the bridge would be a better place to start rather than the neck.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:34 pm 

Thanks all!

I raised the bridge a tad, a little at a time, using quarter turns on each screw. It helped decrease most of the buzzing, and the action is still quite low, but I may at some point in the future try the give the neck a little relief.

Cheers.

Post subject: New member - First Ric
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:02 pm 

Diddley --- curious, did you ever put a straight edge against you neck to determine if there were high or low points ?? As is referenced everywhere in the Rickenbacker universe, all Rickenbacker necks are supposed to be flat for optimum playing.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:01 am 

Didn't use a straight edge (don't have one long enough), but I did the test where you hold down the string at the first and last frets, and there is no space at all.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:54 pm 

Hi this is my first post. I am based in England and I own a 620/6 mg and a 330/6 mg. I did have from new a Tom Petty 660/12 the which had a beautful birdseye maple body which I bought in 1991 after waiting for it for twelve weeks.
My advice would be get it set up professionally. You really only have to do it the once and as well as getting the action you want you can get the intonation set properly. Raising the bridge could alter the intonation which means as you play further down the neck the guitar will sound slightly out of tune. The bottom line is you have paid a lot of money for a nice guitar so get it sorted properly. Plenty of time to learn how to do it yourself in the future. Just my opinion.
Can anyone confirm the 660 neck is thicker than the 620. I am thinking of chopping it in. Please advise.
Thanks
Andyenobs

Board index » General Forum