Board index » General Forum

Post subject: Midnight Blue Minor Scratch Repair Success
 Post Posted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:22 pm 

Just a quick note to say thank you to everyone who has written here about how they fix minor scratches on their Rickenbackers. I own a 2005 Midnight Blue 360/12 that I bought new in early 2006. While making some set up adjustments the other day I put a 1/2" long clear coat scratch on the top of the guitar with my small metal ruler. It was very noticeable in any sort of reflective light. After doing a bit of research here I elected to try some Meguiars Scratch X 2.0 to rub out the scratch. It worked perfectly. I used a very small amount of the Scratch X on a fine microfiber cloth to rub just the area where the scratch was and repeated it three times until the scratch basically disappeared. In bright light I could still see where the scratch was but I had to look hard to find it. I applied a tiny dab of pure carnuba wax to the spot and rubbed it out a little more with the microfiber cloth until the wax was gone. Job done. No one will ever see the scratch and the polishing and buffing by hand left no residual hazing or fine scratches. FYI, I found the Scratch X, carnuba, and microfiber cloths at an auto parts store a couple of miles from my house which together cost $23. Thanks again to all who have posted about how they got rid of scratches on their Rics.

FYI, in case some are wondering, I do have some blue bleeding into the clear coat on the neck of the guitar which shows up against the white binding. This was a problem acknowledged by Rickenbacker back in the early to mid 2000's when my guitar was built. It would be nice if it wasn't there but I didn't notice it until long after the warranty coverage had expired. Not a big deal for me. It's still a beautiful instrument that is well constructed and plays great.

Board index » General Forum