Board index » General Forum

Post subject: 4005XC
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:15 pm 

Anniversary release of the XC (Roman numerals for 90) range - I am keen... how do I get one?

Post subject: Re: 4005XC
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:37 am 

I believe you will have to order through a RIC dealer, as is usual policy.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:58 am 

Cant believe there making them again got mine ordered

Post Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:15 am 

With all due respect, I am not a fan. Constructive criticism: I would rather see the bridge back farther so that it plays more like a bass than a guitar, and inset the neck further at the normal Rickenbacker scale. I also understand that this is a short scale instrument. Please correct me if I am wrong. But with the separation of the bridge and tailpiece, unless the geometry of the tailpiece is far enough back from the bridge that you can use standard long scale strings, as, for example, a Harmony H22 from the 60's, finding strings for this beast could be a serious issue.

OTOH, I really like using a 360 OS body instead of the elongated 4005 body. And of course, anything with checkerboard excites me musically. Thanks.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:30 pm 

The only thing that prevents you using long scale strings on a short scale bass is the tuner post. Some short scale basses use guitar tuners. The hole in the post is too small for the main part of the string. The tuners on this bass appear to have standard posts. Should be fine using long scale strings.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:28 pm 

Well, it is obvious from your comment you have never snapped a E string, even around a tuner with a "bass" size tuner post, from the tight winding of a string of typical E-string diameter. I have snapped them; I have seen them snapped; and I have seen "standard bass size tuners" bind and have difficulty tuning with the speaking length around the post.

Respectfully, no. I completely disagree with that statement. For best tone, longetivity, and resistance to breakage, you must have strings that are the proper length for the scale. At the beginning, RIC designed the bridge and the offset E tuner on all the 4000 series basses, including my 4002, so that what became "standard" length strings could be used for these very reasons, in addition to the fact that, of course, for years these were the only strings readily available in the USA. (Yes, I know about Hofner asking Polyhedron to make their strings for the 500/1 short scale bass; see my last comment below.)

The proper winding or speaking length for any bass and any bass string is:
1) measure from the string anchor (not the bridge) to the tuner side of the nut;
2) measure from the string anchor to the middle of the tuner post on the lowest pitched string, whether E on a 4-string bass, or B on a 5- and 6-string bass.
3) purchase strings that have a "winding length" or "speaking length" before the taper or silk between these two measurements.

It's not "just" what any manufacturer calls their scale length, whether short, medium, or long. There are those who see that 4000 series RIC basses have a 33 1/4 inch scale and think - "Oh - it's shorter than Fender 'standard'; these basses must use medium scale strings," and then are sorely disappointed because they used the spec of the distance between the bridge saddle and the nut, and not the distance from the string ball anchor to the E or B string post, and as a result did not purchase either RIC strings or others of similar scale length, to their detriment.

I have another bass that has a 33-inch scale length. But because of the geometry of the bridge and headstock, it also uses "standard" long scale strings. I have another bass that has a 32-inch scale. Typically, that is considered a "medium" scale. But the strings I prefer are called by the manufacturer "short" scale, where all other manufacturers may call such a string "medium" scale.

The bottom line: E strings will snap eventually using the wrong scale length for the instrument. Measure, measure, measure, and if still in doubt, use strings branded by the manufacturer as fitting the bass in question.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:32 pm 

Have you actually had E strings snap at the tuner? Common sense would dictate that the larger wrap would make the bend less severe for the core of the string at the tuner. Also if the break angle at the nut is sufficient, the wrap size at the tuner would be irrelevant to tone. I realize common sense isn't physics. Quite the opposite at times. Lol Would you know of a link the explains the issues?

Post Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:14 am 

Badanovski wrote:
Have you actually had E strings snap at the tuner?

Yes. Read my post carefully.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:39 am 

Blimey this iiipopes dude is one to avoid at partys , lets just leave it with Rickenbacker , after all they have only been going 90 years , got mine ordered cant wait to get it and it will be gigged hard , thank you Mr Hall and everyone at Rickenbacker .

Post Posted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:55 am 

hatch wrote:
Blimey this iiipopes dude is one to avoid at partys , lets just leave it with Rickenbacker , after all they have only been going 90 years , got mine ordered cant wait to get it and it will be gigged hard , thank you Mr Hall and everyone at Rickenbacker .

No, he is not! He’s a wealth of knowledge and took the time to post an explanation. He is correct, as I, too, have snapped an E string as described.

Board index » General Forum