Board index » General Forum

Post subject: BBE Sonic Stomp
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:01 am 

I spent some time at my local music store the other day, the guitar tech there recut the nut on my 660/12 as it was set somewhat high for my liking open chorda and barred F were getting to the fingers somewhat...100% better now, an absolute joy. Chris, guitar tech at Hartnoll Guitars plays a 330/12 and has made sure that he understands the nuances of Rics.

I was going to by a compression pedal...wanted to try Marshall's Edward the Compressor ... just for the name...???. I tried out 4 different compressors and was totally unmoved by any of them, ending up wondering what all the fuss was about. Then the question was asked, "Do you really want a compressor??" "Try this". I was handed a BBE sonic stomp, sonic maximiser and the difference is amazing. I have since looked at reviews of this product and nobody has married it up to a 12 string, let alone a Rickenbacker. The sound is amazing. Through my Marshall 275 twin it is like letting a genie out of a bottle...all sparkle and light.

If anybody else has tried this pedal I would be interested in their reaction, if you haven't, try one, it really is a gas.

Post subject: Re: BBE Sonic Stomp
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:12 am 

"The Stomp" gets my vote to, I also have a 660/12.

Mine is on all the time I never turn it off, it really does lift the blanket off "any" speaker.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:01 pm 

The Sonic Stomp sounds great when playing alone, but as it is simply an eq device, with a drastic mid cut, it doesn't do well in a band mix. On bass guitar anyway, with a 12 string, it may well be magic, but don't be fooled, it's not magic, just a fancy eq pedal.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:34 pm 

Cornwall wrote:
I was going to by a compression pedal...wanted to try Marshall's Edward the Compressor ... just for the name...???.

OK, of course, Jim Marshall is, er, was, English. The pedal is named after Edward the Confessor (because of his religious devotion -- he took a vow of celibacy, even though married, and so never had any children, i.e. no heir to the throne -- make of that what you will to get to the present discussion). He was the last Saxon King of England, who died in January 1066. Everyone got into a big row over him supposedly, on his deathbed, nominating Harold, his brother-in-law, to inherit the throne, hence the invasion by his cousin William, Duke of Normandy, in October 1066.

The Norwegians had been watching how the death of the celebate Edward would play out. So after he died, they invaded from the north and the east, hoping to score their claim as successor in England. Harold took an army and defeated them. Then Harold & crew got word of William's landing in September, and marched south to Hastings. The army was exhausted, and William's forces prevailed and consolidated power. William I was crowned on Christmas Day, and almost immediately acquired the moniker, "the Conqueror."

(Yes, I've been to Edward's tomb in Westminster Abbey, and I've toured the Hastings area. I love English history!)

Post Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:05 pm 

William the Conqueror has a very large number of documented descendants (and an interesting family history of his own), myself included.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:00 am 

And I'm almost certain he played a Rick!

I haven't tried the Sonic Stomp pedal. I was looking for a compressor, too (not Edward, though) for my 330/12. I tried the Pedal That Shall Not Be Named but it didn't really work for me. Eventually, I tried the MXR Dyna-Comp, and that was perfect for the sound I was looking for. It sounds great through my Vox AC15. To each his own, I suppose.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:50 am 

The BBE Sonic Stomp is not an “EQ device with a drastic midcut” at all. It delays certain frequencies, which you then adjust with a couple knobs, so that the speaker cab can reproduce the entire sound without lows and highs interfering (loss of clarity, muddiness) or cancelling out what should be there. It works quite well (that ‘removing the blanket’ affect is noticeable on most amp set-ups), I have never tried it with bass guitar, but I love mine with six strings.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:00 am 

I didn't care for it, especially in comparison to a compressor. I found it was too harsh.

Board index » General Forum