Board index » General Forum

Post subject: Getting back in the game!
 Post Posted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 1:52 am 

Hi all!
After 21 years and 2 kids,I am making time for me. I am once again playing bass which was lurking deep inside since I quit. I within the last year purchased old school gear to reproduce that vintage sound. Boy have things changed.I feel lost!. Anyhow I am currently using a 1973 Traynor monoblock head, with a 1976 Ampeg V6B(2-15" cab)and recent purchase of an Ampeg 210HE classic series cab/horn with a Boss Me50B. Just about blew an ear drum last week ,and it wasn't from my wife yelling to fix all the pictures on the wall. My current axe is a spector 4 string. I will be ordering a new 4003 jetglow within the next month or so, as I sold mine in 1983 and regretted it ever since. Good to hear it is still made in U.S.and haven't lost site of Quality VS Quantity.

Post subject: Re: Getting back in the game!
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:23 pm 

Just caught your post..I normally hang close to the 'bass only' category. Yes, by all means, rumble your abode. You -if anyone- deserve it! I can say this because I just turned 50, worked, raised kids, paid bills, etc. and have just renewed my love of 4-string and am trying to figure out how to replace a '74 burgundy 4001 I sold in '80. All I have is a late 80's jap precision which is a very poor substitute. Also: don't poo-poo "old school gear"; it's what all the great music was made on; it can't be replaced. Buy some new if you want but keep the old gear running. I do my 6-string stuff on a '67 (black) Showman through a EVM 15L-II I bought the fall of '83. It does G-sus extremely well! Keep it up, man..you'll get it back!

Post Posted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:32 pm 

GOOD TO HEAR THERE ARE THER ARE SOME OLDER GUY'S STILL KICKING IT. also glad to hear that the desire to play again never really goes away, just glad I did it now before I have to order a custom Ric to accomodate the handles of a wheelchair. I will never get rid of the old school gear. Once my new 4003 is in, I will have found my fountain of youth.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:19 am 

Quote:
GOOD TO HEAR THERE ARE THER ARE SOME OLDER GUY'S STILL KICKING IT. also glad to hear that the desire to play again never really goes away, just glad I did it now before I have to order a custom Ric to accomodate the handles of a wheelchair. I will never get rid of the old school gear. Once my new 4003 is in, I will have found my fountain of youth.
I have been playing for 28 years and only just started gigging 2 years ago at age 39. I don't think you can ever get too old for gigging. Especially with the new Neodymium Cabinets. They are so nice & light but have plenty of power handling.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:53 am 

Glad to hear there's some older guys who still want to play. I just turned 53 last month. I use to play bass from 1970 thru 1983. Put it down after my son was born. Got divorced in 1993 and 3 years later I got the itch to learn 6 string. Got a few guitars throughout the years with my favorites being my Tele that has a Dimarzio Tone Zone T in the bridge (that guitar screams!!)and of course, my Ric 330 that I bought last September. I just play at home at that's fine with me.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:53 pm 

Could you guys possibly help with a logistical prob? I want a 4001 C64. As we all know, properly reproducing the sonorous depth of this particular instrument requires strong wattage and no-compromise speaker cabinetry. I had a hernia fixed a month ago. Should I give up bass and relapse into 6/12-string? How did Geddy, Squire and Pauly deal with it??

Post Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:21 am 

Quote:
Could you guys possibly help with a logistical prob? I want a 4001 C64. As we all know, properly reproducing the sonorous depth of this particular instrument requires strong wattage and no-compromise speaker cabinetry. I had a hernia fixed a month ago. Should I give up bass and relapse into 6/12-string? How did Geddy, Squire and Pauly deal with it??

Paid help!! :D Look at the newer SS amps and neo magnet speakers to lighten the load.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:19 am 

I use an Ampeg B100R as both a practice amp and for hauling around. It's built well enough so that it gets plenty of low end, and it's not too heavy to handle on your own. Plus, you can get wheels for it, and my Ricks sound great through it. It's also surprisingly loud, and both bass and amp fit in the back seat of my trusty Cavalier.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:59 am 

I have both an Ampeg SVT 3 Pro and an SVT 2 Pro. I had the 3 Pro first as it had been touted as a good approximation of the old SVT tube heads. I was not totally happy with the solidity of the sound, though it has great tone. I played an SVT Classic at GC and found the tightness and punch factor I was missing. Watching eBay, a 2 Pro came up and I got it, but in shipping it was totally damaged. I got my money back, and in making calls to Ampeg to see about the feasibility of rebuilding the damaged one, was offered a newer retubed model for a great price from a private party. It is the tone/sound I want, but it is one heavy son-of-a-gun! And the Ampeg Classic SVT410HLF cab also is a back breaker. So I understand the weight concerns! I just haven't desired to give up the sound/tone yet. Haven't pulled anything yet either!! :D Oh, yeah, I'm 54 so weight is a factor! My own included....

Post Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:23 am 

Who was it who had to roll the rock up the hill for eternity? That's me trying to get my Sunn 215 up the basement stairs.

Board index » General Forum