Board index » General Forum

Post subject: Re: Getting back in the game!
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:01 am 

Guys, the "should I switch to 12 string" was my (very) feeble attempt at humor! I'll never tired of those soothing, deep fundamentals...

I did once try a cigarbox-sized, 300wrms digital head that had serious pwr and weighed less than a half-gallon of milk. Being digital, it had a tubey type of sound. It was mkt'd for stand-up guys but sounded great for electric bass and would probably be cool for 4001/3 stuff.

The "sunn rise from the basement" picture was SO appropos and illustrative of the cross(es) bassplayers must bear: The 6 stringers can carry a Princeton or Deluxe in from their VW; for equivalent volume, we are dragging in 2x15's, 4x10's or worse, just to keep up. You can't fight cityhall and you can't rewrite the laws of physics. All we can do is be smart and enjoy loosening the mortar.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 6:03 am 

Quote:
Who was it who had to roll the rock up the hill for eternity? That's me trying to get my Sunn 215 up the basement stairs.

ROFL profusely!! Just hauling the 70lb SVT 2 head inside from the car is a chore, though I can carry 2 40 lb bags of salt a whole lot easier - balanced load.

It was Sisyphus so condemned.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:37 pm 

Salmo, that was me too! Guitars all went away when the kids came along (project Gretsch for future restoration went into basement exile for years). The Gretsch is now out, restored, and playing. And just a few months ago I replaced my dear long-departed jetglow 4001 with a jetglow 4001.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 4:57 am 

Yeah, I have noticed there are a few of us "grey beards" on this forum,(47 here) I too got back to playing a few years ago after taking the last 20 few years ago to do the career thing. (I have always liked many kinds of rock music, and have a few different styles of guitars. A couple Jacksons, A Wolfgang, a strat and a tele for the usual stuff. I bought my Ric just for no better reason than I always wanted one, I play almost every day and since getting my 360 all my other guitars are just gathering dust. I tend to buy and sell guitars at the drop of a hat, but I guarantee the RIC "ain't going nowhere"

Post Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:29 am 

I hear all of you on this topic! I'm turning 50 next week. I've been playing guitar since I was 14 with a huge hiatus during the child rearing and bill paying years. After acquiring a first-class, solid wood acoustic (Larrivee L05) and telling my wife "this is all I'll ever need", I've since increased the herd to eight guitars and loads of recording gear. I was pining after a RIC bass and figure, hell, I'm not getting any younger and I've paid a mortgage for 19 years... go for it!

All those years spent dreaming of playing the thing could actually be used playing the thing! :)

Post Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:12 pm 

Go, Pinto, go! I'll be watching from the sidelines until I get a surgery paid-off and my youngest in his first semester of college. Then, it's a C64, damnit! (can we cus, here?)

Post Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:00 am 

You just did.

My story is similiar - a 33 year hiatus from bass while I married, colleged (isn't that an oxymoron?!?!), raised 3 kids (doing the sports support thingy), and paying off the mortgage. I say a cousin and brother-in-law die way too young at 53 & 54 respectively, so I decided it was now or never! Wish I'd done it years ago but then things would have turned out very differently and I wouldn't want to give up my life as is. To enriched, even more so with the 4003!

Post Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:34 am 

I hear tell 4003's are a great cure for "Grannies Complaint". r'member??

Post Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:02 am 

Oh..one more thought. An interesting research topic for survey: Age when started playing bass -vs- preferred playing position of right hand in terms of inches from the bridge. I have a (weak) theory on this. I think guys who listened to earlier 50's or 60's music, tend to play deeper and guys who might have come up in the 70's or 80's tend to play punchier. Any merit? (I could swear I was starting to see a trend, here..)

Board index » General Forum