Board index » General Forum

Post subject: Wider neck on a 360
 Post Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:00 pm 

Hi, I have always loved the shape and look of the 360 and finally bought one. It is one of the most beautiful guitars produced.

The problem is, the neck is just too damn skinny. Has anyone ever replaced the neck with something a bit more substantial?

I'm thinking of first hacking off the neck and then modifying the body to accept new a bolt-on neck.

Or if I should just hack off the neck and then route the rear of the body to accept a new glued on neck. Then cover the routing with maple veneer.

I have the facility and equipment to do this properly and I'm looking forward to ending up with a truly awesome guitar that suits my playing needs.

The benefit to the "bolt-on" method is that I could change necks if the first one I install doesn't exactly suit me or the guitar itself for that matter.

The glued on method would of course be the most sound approach, but then I'm out of options if the neck doesn't suit me.

Before considering this, I have contacted Rickenbacker directly who has no interest in producing a wider neck for us folks with big hands and thicker fingers. I dig the shape and sound of a 360 enough that I'm willing to take my new guitar and attempt to modify it to suit me.

Have any of you tried this, or have any other suggestions as to how to get a wider neck on a 360? I can't be the only one out there who has this problem with skinny necks!

Post subject: Re: Wider neck on a 360
 Post Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:49 pm 

Hey! You really should think to find another compromise, Mr. Frankenstein! ;)

Post Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:27 pm 

The only other alternative would be to have a custom guitar made (on the down low) that looks just like a Ric 360. I have wanted one since I was 16, (that was a long time ago), but I have never been able to get on with the neck. Now, as I approach geezerhood, I can afford to do what I want and if that means sacraficing a new Ric for the greater good because I am completely out of other options, then that's what I'll do. muah ha ha ha ha!

I even searched for a neck-damaged one for about a year so I wouldn't have to hack the neck off a new one but I couldn't find anything.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:59 pm 

Did you think to look for a 380? I believe they are the same body shape but with the wider neck. You cannot order them anymore, but you will see them floating around here an there.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:22 am 

Wow, thanks. That 380 looks cool but I'm a real sucker for the "R" tailpiece, triangle inlays, rosewood board and pickguard set-up on the 360.

It sure would be nice if Rickenbacker would just offer two neck widths on their guitars, but I understand that if sales are going well for the product as it exists, then why mess with success.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:58 am 

Bob,

May I suggest that you replace your nut with a 330 model nut. That will give you a little more room to play with.

Cole

Post Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 3:19 am 

Thanks, I'll give that a try. I am going to try and get along with the guitar first, but I doubt it's going to happen. The neck is just so dang skinny. I am certainly open to suggestions to widen it. Or any methods of mounting a new neck.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 4:32 am 

TB,

Check out the 650 Dakota. The neck is very wide compared to a 360 & you can swap out the humbuckers for the High-Gains or Toasters. You will have the tone you want with a fast, rockin' neck that is plenty wide.

Check out the specs.

Mark

Post Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 5:28 am 

I don't actually have a problem with the RIC neck as far as playing but have always wanted to make some kind of hybrid guitar with a wider neck just for kicks as Tel-Bob describes using the 360 body and trim, color, etc.

If you go ahead and do the deed, please post a link so I can see how it came out.

I think the proper place for further guidance on this might be the last forum here "RIC Restoration, from Part to Finish".

Good luck.

MMM

Post Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 6:44 am 

Should I post actual photos of the neck being sawed off a brand new 360?! muah ha ha ha!

That Dakota sure is a nice guitar, but I'm real sweet on the 360. The shape is quite elegant and I dig the semi-hollow vibe. It tames the brightness of the pickups a bit.

Board index » General Forum