Board index » General Forum

Post subject: The Rickenbacker of your Dreams (literally!)
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:49 am 

For the last five years I've been attempting to save up for a 360/6 FG. Lately, every single dollar I spend, I think about how I'm screwing up and should be saving it for this guitar. I buy a salad; that could have went towards the guitar. It's obviously one of those things where the fact that I can't have it is making it seem so much more important then it probably really is. I don't mean that to be a sob story. I have a nice life. Live in a nice town. My car never breaks down. Everything is cool. I just always have more important things to do with my cash. So with all this inner Rickenbacker conflict I have going on, it seems fitting that I'd suddenly have a dream about the 360.

[Warning, if there's something that doesn't add up, my dreams are rather intuitive]

I suddenly find myself in this guitar shop I've never been to before. My intention is to buy a 360/6 FG. I felt like I had about $800 in my pocket. (next time I'll count my money before I dream of shopping for an instrument!) I realize it'd be unrealistic in reality, but with that $800 I was there to make some sort of deal. The store is rectangle shaped. Two same-sized conjoining rooms with gear in them. The lights were almost completely off. As if only the emergency lights were on.

The owner passes me once. He's tall and skinny with thin shaggy hair; slightly balding. Looked like a conservative type but with a crazy hippie comb-over. White shirt tucked into his pants. Looked to be in his 40s or 50s.

In the second room, I find a 360/6 FG raised up to waist level, sitting on a stand which is on top of some sort of white display block. I lean in closer. At first glance, I notice some things about the guitar that seem very off. The pickups (regular ones, not toasters) are white rather then black. There's a weird hole in the pick-guard with some sort of small bolt-sized metal object protruding out. Looks like the guitar had been in an accident. The body looks scratched up.

I pick it up and notice the back of the neck has large spots that are shaved/sanded down to the bare wood. I look at the back of the body and notice some sort of poster-like thing glued onto it. It's colorful and has a picture and something written on it. By looking at it, I get this fantastic feeling and somehow instinctively know that this guitar was used somewhere around the 1980s by a black guy in a very arty creative jazz/blues type of band. Then I realize the entire guitar's body is still wet with red paint. I put it down. The condition is poor. I don't really want it but I'm still thinking of making a deal for it. The tall store owner, who is roaming around in the dark room, like a ghost, comes back and leans towards me to say something. Then the dream ends and I abruptly wake up. I got up and plopped down into my computer chair and had this awful feeling.

The dream at face value doesn't sound very profound, but something about it .. The entire day I've felt bummed out like the guitar is somehow less important now. I don't know why. The dream was really negative feeling (except for the part with the colorful poster). I think I was taught a lesson or something. About wanting material possessions too much. I'm still trying to figure it out. Right now it's 12 midnight and I'm just finally getting the feeling back that I must have this guitar. ..Maybe I didn't learn my lesson. *braces self for tonight's nightmare*

It was weird and unexpected, and plain neat to have a dream pertaining to this subject. Anyone else ever have a Rickenbacker related dream? (I once had a dream I was sitting down playing acoustic guitars with Lennon, McCartney, & Harrison. Don't know where the hell Ringo was!)

Post subject: Re: The Rickenbacker of your Dreams (literally!)
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:36 am 

12 midnight:
http://myspace-204.vo.llnwd.net/00067/4 ... 5204_l.jpg

As for Rickenbacker dreams, I've had a few. In 1995 (or was it '94) I had ordered my first Ric, a 360V64 Jetglo 6. I had nightmare after nightmare of dropping the guitar down flights of steps, having it pop off of straps, etc.

I still have that amazing guitar -in fact I played it for all I was worth this afternoon.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:42 am 

Just buy the damn thing on credit and pay it off ASAP! think how much less the guitar would have been if you had purchased it five years ago!

I bought my 381/12v69 in 1991 at cost. I wish I had scrimped and bought a second 6 string model.........because I ended up buying one just recently and it was almost twice the price!

Post Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:53 am 

i had a dream i met tom petty. he was playing something odd in mapleglo, the proportions were off somewhat like 360 and the toasters had shrunk to the size of fender single coils and the knobs were oddly arranged, but still on the common ric football? tear drop? shaped pick guard. the neck was rather slim, like the mandolin guitar or the bantar.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:25 am 

A while back I had a dream where I met John Hall and Kenny at an Orange County Denny's. There were other RIC employees there too. I think they were doing some promotion there. I was going to ask Mr. Hall if he would find it in his heart to donate a MG 325C58 to me. I never got to ask...then I woke up. I've also dreamed that the same 325 was in my possession but was very small and had an odd shape. I still want one but it'll be quite a while before I can afford one.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:26 am 

My dream is actually a nightmare and it occurs everytime I think about having to part with my 325/12JL and my 350SH to bail my dumb a** out of legal troubles 11 years ago. The noose tightens a little more everytime I think about them.(Oops... there it goes again!) But, after 11 years, I just got a 650C in Fireglo so life is good again.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:00 am 

What an interesting idea for a thread! It happens I've had one, too.
I had a dream that my band was going on a world tour but that the lower horn on my 4003JG had broken off, and we were literally ready to go. In the dream my best friend was there helping us get ready and said "Oh, that's bad. You're going to have to have a new piece made. Either that or send it back to the factory." Of course there was no time for this, as our huge world tour was about to begin.
I think it was manifested by insecurity or something, although I'm pretty protective of my bass.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:18 am 

had another one last night. this time i had a 325c64. i was shocked at how small it was, and more shocked that it kept shrinking. by the time the dream was over, it was the size of my hand, at which point i realized it was just a dream and i became dissappointed.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:33 pm 

There are things in this world, a whole, whole lot worse then dreaming about Rics!

Board index » General Forum