Board index » General Forum

Post subject: Little help here!
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 4:16 am 

Hey, I'm a Fender Strat and Les Paul user, how does the Ric differ in playablilty to these friends of mine. I'm interested in a 3rd electric guitar.

Post subject: Re: Little help here!
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 4:31 am 

You will get all sorts of advice on this, but my best suggestion is to go to a dealer and pick on up. After playing it for a while, see if you can put it down. There are so many models for different styles, one should fit your bill.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:51 am 

Since your Fender and Les Paul are 6-strings, I'd make it a point to check out a 12-string and see if you like it. Rickenbacker 12-strings are something special!

Post Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:52 am 

This is a recent thread you might find interesting:

http://www.rickenbacker.com/forum_view_ ... n%20es-335

Post Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:24 am 

I myself have always been a Fender man, (I hate Les Pauls, too heavy, way overpriced, only one sound, etc.) I still play my Tele and sold my American Strat since I bought a Rick 360 and a 330. I recently played with several musicians who were blown away by the sound of my 360. They couldnt believe the sound! They said that it blew away a Les Paul! Try one, you wont be dissapointed. I still love Fenders but they don't compare to the Ricks. Just take it out of the case and see everyones jaw drop. It happens everytime!!

Post Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:04 am 

I also add my vote that you check out the Rickenbacker 12 string. I already have 3 six string guitars, including a Fender Strat (American Series - a nice guitar), and I just bought a Rickenbacker 330/12. I originally planned to get a 325c64, but I changed my mind and took home a 330/12 in Fireglo. I am in love!!! The 330/12 is a work of art to look at, and it sounds amazing.

The sound of a 12 string may not work for everyone's musical taste, but you really should check one out. And the Rickenbacker electric 12 string comes with a cool history, going back to Roger McGuinn and George Harrison. Pretty cool.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:30 pm 

A Ric would round out that collection very nicely! I have a Strat, a Les Paul, a Ric 330 and they all play very differantley. I don't know what Ric model strikes your fancy but the neck width on the 330 is narrower than that on a Strat or an LP and the string spacing is closer as well. So depending on your hand size you might want to check out some Rics with the wider neck/string spacing as well, like a 660. I admit that it took me a long time to get use to the narrower neck and string spacing (not the guitars fault), but I really persisted and believe it or not it's really helping me to be a better player. I've still got miles to go and it still fights me from time to time but for the clean tones I like to hear it's all been well worth the effort. Not trying to scare you off, just giving you an honest opinion based on my experience.

While standing and playing with a strap the guitar balances beautifully. It just feels right and the controls are located in a good spot, so no worries about slamming into any knobs while you're playing.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:36 pm 

Quote:
Hey, I'm a Fender Strat and Les Paul user, how does the Ric differ in playablilty to these friends of mine. I'm interested in a 3rd electric guitar.

I don't play what many people would consider "Rickenbacker" music (REM, Jam, or British Invasion stuff) but I can tell you that Ric guitars are typically better made, more balanced, and, uh, funner instruments than anything I ever got from Fender and Gibson. My group plays pretty noisy punk and rock stuff and my Ric 620 beats anything around for my purposes. I used to rock a Jazzmaster, some SGs, a Gibson 335, and some LPs, but nothing integrated like the Ric. To me, it has all the clarity and treble of a typical Fender guitar combined with the sustain and muscle of an SG. Plus, the build quality is substantially better than any other big name guitar.

Not to sound like a commercial or anything, but I sold my other electric guitars when I got my Ric 620 (and now pray I don't break any strings at shows.)

Post Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:14 am 

I kinda wonder if I would have bought my Ric if I had tried it out first, there were none locally, and while I had seen some, I never actually played one until I got mine from MF, The first thing you notice is the quality of the finish and the superb fit of all the parts, It took me a little while to get used to it, and now I love it, It is just a different guitar,,,,I think different is a good thing

Board index » General Forum