Board index » General Forum

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Hard Days Night Query
 Post Posted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 4:50 am 

QUOTE:

"Where's this great, non-vocal version you mentioned? Link us, man!"

Send me your email address to me: davclr1@msn.com

I can do this and also the "no vocals" version of "God Only Knows". Wondrous stuff! I can send these 2 you via email.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 4:52 am 

QUOTE:

"Hawaii Five-0 is a good example of 'Woman beating poor, defenseless bass-guitar'."

"Book her, Dano!"

Post Posted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 5:08 am 

QUOTE:

"im sure the LSD had some influence too, but whatever, lol. and in turn, didnt brian wilson have a nervous breakdown after hearing sgt pepper's because he knew he wouldnt be able to top it?"

Matt,

There was an EXCELLENT long out of print VHS cassette of a Beach Boys' biography (title escapes me at the moment)that was done in the 1980s. Brian is interviewed and goes into great detail about this whole thing. Alas, the VHS was eventually pulled from commericial release since it involved legalites concerning non-permissioned use (of then) unreleased "Smile Tracks", such as "Surf's Up" and a video of Brian doing a demo of it on his home piano.

But if memory serves correctly on this, this is just about the time Brian shut himself up in his bedroom, bloated out like a whale and went into "severe depression".

In fact on this VHS, some of the interviews filmed were of Brian lying in bed, during this depression period!

There is lots of great stuff on the VHS tape, also such as The Beach Boys performing live, circa 1964 at the Santa Monica Civic auditorium (exact same place and stage where the televised "Oscar Show" was done for years with Bob Hope MC-ing) and Carl Wilson playing his then brand new Ric 360/12!

Post Posted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 3:20 pm 

It's surprising ( to me at least) how much the Beatles' sound chahged post-Ric.I never liked their later,Sgt.Pepper and type, stuff.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 8:05 pm 

Nightfire, lend me your ears. It's a trade-off: early we get to hear the 360/325; later, we get to hear the 4001S. Ringo's song got more than 'A Little Help' from Pauly's 4001, whose line could be an advanced study in phrasing and technique. Hell, for that matter, I often imagine it as being played on a cello. Only the great 4001 -with some help from Pauly- could have pulled this off so beautifully. I, too, used to prefer one period over another, but they all have much to offer. Of course, this kind of genius in this/these periods had to grow (change).

Post Posted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 3:01 am 

Quote:
It's surprising ( to me at least) how much the Beatles' sound chahged post-Ric.I never liked their later,Sgt.Pepper and type, stuff.

I hadn't played a Sgt Pepper track for years at home, other then hearing just bits of them on the ANTHOLOGY DVD series.

Today, I listened to every single track on the SPLHCB on the syndicated "Beatle Brunch" radio program.
WOW! Paul's bass playing is truly amazing and makes the bass a almost a lead intrument on many of these tracks.

And I agree! In his incredibly skilled hands Sir Macca's bass is almost as velvety as a cello. My fresh re-listen to this entire l.p. after several years of absence brought an entirely new level of respect and appreciation of it from me.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:25 am 

Just FYI, the opening chord IS a G7sus4.
The published version is 3x0011.
There are at least 45 different ways to play this chord ... from the very simple [xx0011] to 330011, to 330031, to 333533, 333733, 333011, 335563 and on and on. Take your pick.

As many have said, the original may have had more instruments playing on the record. Don't remember. Haven't heard the song in years.

PS: A couple of friends and I in NYC took the bus ourselves, as little kids, and saw HDN when it came out. Will never forget that day.

- Mark

Post Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:54 am 

HDN was back in the days when you could buy a ticket to see a movie then sit through as many showings as you wanted. I watched twice (last 2 showings of the day). You could also bring your own popcorn back then also. Try that today - they almost strip search you going in. They do strip your pocketbook if you get popcorn and a drink!!

Post Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 4:17 am 

Hard Day's Night
Harrison was right, it's an F chord with a ninth (G) but it also has a sixth (D) and uses open strings. Download the sound track and listen to it while you play this: G-C-G-D-A-F, top to bottom (or 3-1-0-0-0-1). It's on the money. I use my thumb to wrap around the bottom F. It's a full six-string, droning chord, not one of those XX string-eliminating chords. If you play acoustic, strum the chord close to the bridge and you'll recognize it immediately.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:13 am 

You want to know what the chord is? truly want to know what it is? Alright... I'll tell you what the chord is. Most of this information was taken on this very forum, so here goes.

Guitar 1 (12 string)

x
x

Guitar 2 (6 string)

x
x

Bass
x
x

Piano

G major triad

I know what you're thinking... WTF is the bass doing? and why are George and John playing an F over a G? well I recorded this attempt.
Unfortunately I have neither Rick 12's or a bass or piano, so I recorded everything with my trusty Gibson SG...

one guitar had chorus, the other did not, the bas was played as
x
x
x
x

and the piano was a G major triad, duh.

Results? for having the wrong intrument for every note, I'd say it came pretty close!

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemus ... dID=569203

It's at the bottom. before last song. can't figure out how to link to just that song, so you'll have to scroll down

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Board index » General Forum