Board index » General Forum

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Hard Days Night Query
 Post Posted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:37 pm 

Randy Bachman (BTO & The Guess Who) was just on Breakfast w/ The Beatles (NY radio show) speaking of private tour of Abbey Rd given to him by Giles Martin. He asked to hear the individual tracks of the chord and said it was:
George's 12 string- F w/ hi AND LOW G notes (thumb over low E string)
John- Dsus4!!!???
Paul Bass- C!!!?
Giles dad piano- G & C
Fourier got nothin vs access to tracks. Someone should try to confirm.
Thanks

Post Posted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:05 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
Today, I listened to every single track on the SPLHCB on the syndicated "Beatle Brunch" radio program.
WOW! Paul's bass playing is truly amazing and makes the bass a almost a lead intrument on many of these tracks.

My fresh re-listen to this entire l.p. after several years of absence brought an entirely new level of respect and appreciation of it from me.

You should listen to the mono version.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:03 pm 

Quote:
Randy Bachman (BTO & The Guess Who) was just on Breakfast w/ The Beatles (NY radio show) speaking of private tour of Abbey Rd given to him by Giles Martin. He asked to hear the individual tracks of the chord and said it was:
John- Dsus4!!!???
Paul Bass- C!!!?
Giles dad piano- G & C
Thanks

Sounds like the song was in the key of Gm then--I don't know it well enough to remember whether it is or not. In Gm, F works usually as a V7 chord (you can think of Gm as Bb major if you like); Dsus4 would be the fifth of the home chord with the suspension bringing the home note back in; C works as the 4th, and could add some tension as it really "begs" for a resolution when you hear it; and the piano also makes sense. I can't even remember how the song goes but just based off of what you said, it's sounds plausible that they would be playing these seemingly disparate chords against each other. Stuff like that can make a song really interesting.

By the way, this is a misconception I had for years that I want to clear up for anyone who doesn't also know: a song may be written in, say, E minor, and yet the perceived home chord the song is written around is not necessarily the Aeolian E, so when you just learn the song through tabs etc. you'll think the "key" is another chord. I first realized this with a song by the band TOOL a few years ago, around the time I started playing jazz and getting a sense for how chords and harmonic structure relate to the "big picture" of the song. Later when my band hired an outside keyboardist to record on our work I was lucky to know how to figure this out before he got there!

Post Posted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:06 pm 

Quote:
...said it was:
John- Dsus4!!!???
Paul Bass- C!!!?
Giles dad piano- G & C
Thanks

Yeah, all good stuff but for John's chord make it a D7 sus4 (open chord inversion).
That's how we played the opening for years, the 12-string playing the G7 sus4 and the six string playing the D7 sus4.
Both played together it nails it perfectly.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:06 pm 

Quote:
...said it was:
John- Dsus4!!!???
Paul Bass- C!!!?
Giles dad piano- G & C
Thanks

Yeah, all good stuff but for John's chord make it a D7 sus4 (open chord inversion).
That's how we played the opening for years, the 12-string playing the G7 sus4 and the six string playing the D7 sus4.
Both played together it nails it perfectly.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:28 am 

cassius987 wrote: Sounds like the song was in the key of Gm then--I don't know it well enough to remember whether it is or not. In Gm, F works usually as a V7 chord.

David Lewis wrote: "A Hard Day's Night" is written in G major except for measures 3 through 9 of the verse, which are in the key of G Mixolydian.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:19 pm 

Intro chord: G7sus4 with bassguitar playing D - see thread somewhere else around here :o)

Post Posted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:45 pm 

Quote:
Intro chord: G7sus4 with bassguitar playing D - see thread somewhere else around here :o)

Read here:

http://www.rickenbacker.com/forum_view_ ... s%20wanted!

Post Posted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:46 pm 

G7sus4 sounds more correct when you don't have a bass and piano, and when it's not doubled by an acoustic guitar, but I think George and John played Fadd9 (3-2-1-3).

I believe the tonal center of the chord played on John's guitar cross-fades from F to D as his acoustic guitar is set vibrating by the high D coming out of Paul's bass amp.

Additionally, Martin seems to have overdubbed a G power chord on piano.
---------------------------
From another thread in this forum (A Hard Days Night opening chord):

G7sus4 has been proved to be incorrect by George Harrison. He revealed what he played in an online chat on the 15th February 2001:

Q: Mr. Harrison, what is the opening chord you used for "A Hard Day's Night"?

A: It is F with a G on top (on the 12-string)...

E ----3----
B ----1----
G ----2----
D ----3----
A ----x----
E ----x----

McCartney opted to play a D at the 12th fret of the D string. This high D is the equivalent of playing an open D string on a regular guitar, which has an important effect. The high D bass tone intertwines with the F tone of Harrison's 12-string, causing the F tone, which is the initially dominant tone, to become superseded by the D.

Dominic Pedler has described this as a "virtual pull-off".

Lennon is playing the same Fadd9 shape that Harrison is playing, but on a 6-string acoustic. The strange oscillating effects of McCartney's high D can be largely explained by Lennon's decision to change guitars during the recording session. Lennon was initially playing a Rickenbacker 325 as the group was working out the song, but decided to change, for whatever reason, to his Gibson J-160 acoustic. The effect of the F from Lennon's guitar dropping off in favor of McCartney's D note is attributed to the sound of McCartney's bass resonating in the sound-box of Lennon's acoustic.

But we're still lacking much of the serious punch of that opening chord. This is due to George Martin playing a chord on a Steinway grand piano. The piano chord is just three notes - D2-G2-D3 (where C4 is middle C). There has been much suggestion that there is a B note in there somewhere, but Arthur Dick has proposed that this is due simply to the "vintage 1964 reverb" and the fact that a real piano will produce the feeling of a B harmonic when this is played, suggesting a G major triad.

(For those who do not have a full band in their living room) George Harrison has suggested an alternative based on the original Fadd9, but with the bottom E fretted with the thumb at the 3rd fret:

E ----3----
B ----1----
G ----2----
D ----3----
A ----0----
E ----3----

Post Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:20 pm 

phiddleguy wrote:
I'm with guy_incognito - 353533 - that's the I plays it.
And I figure I just spent about $2500 Cdn just to play that one chord - and it was worth it! I had a photo taken of the first one.
So now I figure everything else I play is free from here on.

This is the correct chord...353533

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Board index » General Forum