Board index » General Forum

Post subject: Ric 325s-Your thoughts wanted!
 Post Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:38 am 

Hi,

The purpose of this thread is pretty much straight forward.

As we all know, there is never ending massive interest in the Ric 325 models produced past and present.

I would encourage anyone who owns a 325 or who fervently plans to own a 325 to come here and openly discuss such issues as your playing experiences with the 325 as of course your thoughts on the always talked about ¾ scale and short play neck issues, etc. etc.

I truly think that the 325s are very unique guitars and with this passions being strong.

But lets all do our very best on this thread to make it an open and hopefully very helpful discussion for 325 aficionados, 325 strivers and students of this model.

Post subject: Re: Ric 325s-Your thoughts wanted!
 Post Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:53 am 

-a very worthy topic, old man. What are you looking for? The obvious, easily-justified case that the 325 could possibly be the most important guitar in the history of rock-n-roll? -because, it probably is, when you think about it (very briefly).

I don't own one but, certainly covet both versions (for different, sonic reasons). One of these days...

Post Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:58 am 

One thing I immediatley noticed on my new 325C64 JG when it arrived to my waiting arms this past Thurday:

I already had my 330FG standing up in it's Taylor mahogany guitar stand ready for an instant real-world sonic comparison.

I strummed the 330, the my 325 just to quickly compare the sound.

The 325 quickly stood out as being instrinsically quite a bit brighter sounding and at a very noteably higher sounding over all pitch then the 330. (and this was with both axes unlugged at a pure acoustic level).

One sound wasn't necessarily "better" then the other, but very noticeably very, very different.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:37 am 

I've had my 325C58 JG for a couple of years now. I have big fat hands, so it took some getting used to, but it's also a lot EASIER for me to make barre chords. It's a perfect rhythm guitar. I did have a bit of an intonation problem with the original strings, but since I put .11 flats on it and had a pro set-up done, tuning is not a problem at all.

I've "Lennonized" it to the point of putting on a B5 and Burns knobs, but haven't done any pickup rewiring or disconnecting, as JL reportedly had done. It's got a great, unique, trademark sound, unlike a lot of other guitars. When I am recording, the sound cuts right thru the other guitars.

It's great fun to play, very iconic for me. I have never had a 3-pickup guitar, so I had to get used to that. Since I like low action, when I play in my normal position (between the neck and bridge pups), I sometimes run into the middle pup. Not so much of a problem with rhythm, but for leads I have to adjust my hand and arm position. No biggie -- making adjustments like that can make you a better guitarist, force you to learn new tricks.

Since I'm used to BIG guitars -- Gretschs, Epi Dots, full-bodied acoustics -- it's great fun playing the "Little Rick", because it sounds and plays differently and forces me to use some different "muscles" -- physical and mental.

When I got the 352C58, I figured, ok, I have a Lennon guitar, and the one is all I need. Wrong wrong wrong. Now I'm looking hard at the 325C64 -- and MAYBE even a 1996.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:04 am 

I've had my 325C64 for several months now, and I'm extremely happy with it. Not only can I finally play the triplets on "All My Loving" and make it sound half-way decent, but the low action and small scale neck make chord changes and long reaches very clean and easy. It's got to be the ultimate "rhythmer"s guitar, but lead is definitely doable.

My efforts toward "Lennonizing" my 325 consisted of ordering a Vox Python strap from Gary at North Coast - other than that, and playing it through my Vox AD120VTH amp, it's pretty much perfect. In fact getting it after all these years has inspired me to put my order in for the 1996 AFG from Gary as well.

For musicians of my generation, the 325 is pretty much the holy grail of electric guitars. One down, one on order, and 2 more (325C58, 325/12V63) to go! :-)

JD

Post Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:30 am 

I've had my '81 320JG for a year now. It was a birthday gift from my wife and was purchased from my brother-in-law who played it in a Beatles cover band.

In the last year I've replaced the bridge, tuners and knobs (vintage knobs), added a Vox Python strap and replaced the original banged up black tolex case with a vintage silver reissue.

In the last year I've also added siblings... a 4003FG and a 350/12FG.

The 320 is an amazing little guitar! It is so easy to play and has such a unique sound. I love getting so close to the sound of the original Beatles tunes - I know I've got high gains and roundwounds - but it is a LOT closer than a strat! Rock 'n Roll rhythm riffs were never so easy!

Post Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:22 am 

I find the 325 to be a great player. The reach you have on that guitar is incredible.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:25 am 

I'm in love with them. I've always liked short scale guitars--Jaguars were my first exposure. The Ric is another whole dimension though--considerably shorter than the Jag, but with a fullness in tone thanks to the three pickups, feather weight (c58s anyway), the guitar is the complete package for me.

I recently tried some Thomastik Jazz/Swing 12 flats on my '58s...I like them so much I'm going to try them on my 1996. My only wish is I could find a Ric-smart set up guy down here where I live; I'd love to have a pro set up to really make these beauties sing.

Bill

Post Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:42 am 

I have owned several Ric guitars and a bass going back decades now. But I'd never owned a small one until last spring, when I happened into an '83 320. Since then I bought a reissue 1996 and a mid 60s 325. For various reasons they're all pretty special to me. I have no interest in tricking any of them out with non-issue knobs and such. I appreciate them as they were made (the 325 is undergoing gut rehab now, to take it back to the way it's believed it was originally, MG.) Otherwise my tastes runs to 620s and, lately, obtaining a 650.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:41 am 

My JG 320 cost @ $550 in the early 80's when I was in college. It's just like now: demand outstrips supply. A very well connected local dealer called in a couple of favors half way across the country to get it in for me. The fingerboard is as bright orange as it gets; a beautiful set-off to the JG and white pickguard. It is stock, but also modified. Huh? Well here goes:

The tuners are real nickel Klusons. The pickups are high gains. It turns out my bridge and middle pickup are @7kohms, and the neck was @13kohms. So, just like John L, I disconnected the neck pickup and run the middle and bridge on the selector switch. It has the cap on the bridge pickup. But something was never quite "right." Finally, I noticed pickup placement. The bridge pickup was about 1/8 to 3/16 farther away from the bridge than the early 60's models. So I very carefully routed away very carefully as necessary, and only as necessary, to get the pickup to the proper spot. Don't shoot me -- it wasn't a hack job -- if you could see it you would not know it wasn't done that way originally. I then relocated the middle pickup accordingly as well, and all of a sudden I had "the" tone!

Oh, yeah: when I first got it, the nut kept coming loose from the jack and jack plate. On closer inspection, there was no washer between the nut and jackplate. I put a very thin one on, and in almost 25 years I've never had to touch the jack again, and I was re-tightening it every week until then.

After I got the pickups sorted out, I've never desired to add toasters to this particular guitar. I love the sound, and I think the high-gains look better with the JG.

One last thing I will do, now that a generation or so later the part is finally available, is change out the bridge tone control with the push-pull so that I can have my choice of "58" style without or "64" style with the cap inline.

I don't play it as much as I should, but now that I can get the push-pull to even further broaden the tone palate available out of this guitar, it should be just fine.

Oh, and BTW: to follow up on another thread, I put 8's on it to tune it up 4 frets to G# to see if I could use it as an alternative to some capoed stuff I do. 8's were actually too thin. 9's are just fine to tune it up either 3 or 4 frets, depending on what you need.

I'm going to experiment with this further. In addition to everything else a 320 can do, I'm starting to think that with its 21 inch scale it has the potential to also be the ultimate terz guitar as well. Electrified mariachi? Probably not. But another ringing voice to fill in a gap between a violin, mandolin and regular or 12-string guitar, to me seems to have a lot of potential for slotting in the mix better than a regular guitar capoed too high.

Board index » General Forum