Board index » General Forum

Post subject: AC-30 TONE AND VOLUME
 Post Posted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:45 am 

Hey folks,

As you know the mid-90's AC-30 reissues have no master volume, so I need to crank it up at least past the half to get a decent sound with my 360. Sometimes we play in smaller clubs and I'm too loud....anyone have EXPERIENCE with any pedals/attenuators etc. that DO NOT change the tone of my set up, only the volume? THANKS IN ADVANCE!

Dan

http://www.myspace.com/digtheissue

Post subject: Re: AC-30 TONE AND VOLUME
 Post Posted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:15 pm 

One mod to consider having done (by your amp tech) is to add Kevin O'connor's "Power Scaling" to it. I'm going to put that on my AC30-ish designs. In a cathode biased amp, like an AC30, it would be used to scale down the power to all tubes, so they would remain at relatively the same drive-to-bias levels. Until you get to the extremes of power starvation, the circuit is purported to keep a very similar tone- but I haven't had a chance to check it out yet. I am ordering a PSK-2 for my very AC30-like design very shortly, and that is the right one to get.

http://londonpower.com/kits/psk.htm

Hopefully, I can have my monstrosity built in the next month or so and I'll report back how it went.

The other thing that I do is to use a demeter "silent cab," which keeps stage volumes down and use the monitor to hear it. This method is expensive and tends to only work well if you have a great PA _and_ everybody else with the same program.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 4:44 pm 

And the third (and generally most favored) option is to get a good attenuator such as a THD HotPlate.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:35 pm 

I feel pretty lucky myself. I managed one of the AC-30 Handwired editions. For those not familiar, this one is completely different. It has 2 inputs, not the traditional 6. It has pedal activated reverb. It does have a master volume control, bass and treble controls, tone cut, and trem. It's truly a great amp and while not a historically correct version of the AC-30, it's totally worth it. Apart from the control panel, the only other cosmetic difference is the small plaque on the front pronouncing which model it is. And of course all of this rests on top of a chrome stand.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:01 pm 

Hi Dan,
Try and get hold of a DoD Overdrive/PreAmp 250 pedal.
Chunky yellow pedal with Ric knobs...I've used one of these with my AC30 for years and it really does the trick without losing the tone.
These pedals were re-issued a few years back but didn't quite match the originals so only go for an old one.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:40 pm 

Quote:
And the third (and generally most favored) option is to get a good attenuator such as a THD HotPlate.

I generally agree with this, but the Hot Plate and the Weber Mass sound a lot better with a distorted sound than they do clean. They also alter the sound even when distorted. I use an attenuator a lot, but I have to bypass it for cleaner sounds.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:47 pm 

In my experience a hotplate should help you out greatly.

Board index » General Forum