Board index » General Forum

Post subject: HELP! restoring a great bass
 Post Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 12:36 pm 

I have a rick bass that survived a house fire (mine) that was borrowed from a family member. I am trying to restore it, the wood is intact. The closest i can make it out to be is between the 4000 and model 4003S but the bridge is the same as the 4000 only.
This bass had a white finish, binding on neck and body all around. Headstock is exactly like a 4001S and the neck has the inlaid instead of the dots. The name plate and bridge pickup bar melted so i can order those, but what about the binding? should i curve the wood out or stick to originality? I still have to put binding on the neck either way. I appreciate any insight, i'm a novice!

Post subject: Re: HELP! restoring a great bass
 Post Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 12:54 pm 

Just a thought before you proceed any farther . . . Is there a chance that it may be covered by insurance before altering it? I once had a guitar brought to me for smoke damage restoration. When I mentioned the fact of it being covered, he stated that he never gave it any thought as he lent it to a friend to do a gig with. The gig they did was a barbecue where sparks from the barbecue pit blew into the band's trailer setting it on fire. His friend went to his auto insurer which contacted the property owner of the barbecue who's homeowners insurance cover 100% of the loss as the instrument's diminished value was excessive . . .

Post Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 9:51 pm 

Thanks for the reply, no there wasn't any insurance. The body is in great shape, because of the superior finish that Ricks provide, but i had to strip it all down to the wood and even the binding is gone. To costly to redo? I know i could give it a decent paint job but the bindings.. i have no experience in, i will have all the other parts ready soon. Kind of feels like i am at dead end. Thanks again

Post Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 2:07 am 

Did the bass come into direct contact with any flame that blistered the finish? Was it playable? If not, I'd give is a light sanding, put some old strings back on it to see if it's still a player before investing anymore time or money first, if you didn't already attempt to play it to see if it was. As far as bindings and finish toners and clear coats, Stewart-McDonald should have what you need, or close enough to modify to use.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 4:14 am 

Yeah the fire really blistered the finish so i went ahead and stripped it down, it should be playable again. I'm going to put it all together and make sure it plays ok, thanks for the help and the info.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 7:36 am 

If it's a player . . . glue joint integrity and surface prep is gonna be your your first concern. You're going to need a sealer which is compatable with what the original was, so you don't have a problem with fisheye and/or lifting . . .

Board index » General Forum