Board index » General Forum

Post subject: Share your first band experiences
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:14 am 

Who wants to share your first experiences with a band?

I’ll go first. It was about 1969. I was in the sixth grade. I had a Teisco 6 string, another kid I knew had a snare drum and a third kid had a Kalamazoo SG knock-off. We decided that we should start a band. We would get together in the drummer’s basement and pound out incomprehensible sounds for hours on end using 3 chords.

Since he had a nicer guitar it was decided that we needed a bass player and I was relegated to playing bass on the lower four strings of the mighty Teisco.

It was horrible at every possible level you could imagine, but chicks started to hang out when they heard we were going to practice. Pretty cool.

That lasted about 3-4 months and then we went our separate ways. By the way, we called ourselves The Glass Indian. I came up with the name after seeing a glass Indian knick-knack at the drummer’s house. We never gigged, although I begged my parents to let us play at their bar and grill on a Saturday night. Thankfully, they declined!

After that whole fiasco better things jelled in the not so distant future. Stay tuned.

Post subject: Re: Share your first band experiences
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:57 am 

I was in highschool. I forget which year; either my freshman or sophomore year. I wanted to play rock 'n' roll so badly I could taste it. My buddy and I started a band. He was going to be the singer, and I was going to play keyboards. He couldn't sing worth beans, and I was relegated to pounding out the keyboard parts to the songs we played on an old upright piano. It was pretty awful.

That group broke up, and I started hanging out with some kids who actually had some gear. And that's when my folks found ways to thwart my career as a rocker. They just didn't want me hanging out with that crowd. Funny thing is, "that crowd" is now in their fifties and I'm still hanging out with 'em, and we're playing the contradance circuit around the midwest with banjos and fiddles and the like.

But I still have this secret desire to play rock 'n' roll. ;-)

JimK

Post Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:03 am 

After I got out of college, I spent my last 200 bucks on a bass. My grandmother had just recently given me her old Wurlitzer 140B also. My best friend had a Washburn hollowbody prototype, a little Fender amp and a massive old Peavey twin. When another friend agreed to play the Wurlitzer (which I still have) we dubbed ourselves "Rainfactory" and had a jam in my basement, coincidentally, during a tornado warning. The bass and the keys went through the old Peavey twin (I had the channel with the tremolo) together. It was pretty sweet. We also forgot to turn off the dehumidifier, which is busy roaring in the background when I play the tape. It was magical. That was real music.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:56 am 

Howdy,

The Year was 1966, the location was Brooklyn, NY and I was in the 6th grade. Our band was called Resurrection and we played mostly Beatles, Stones, Byrds, British Invasion andTop 40's at that time. As other bands did back then, we styled ourselves after The Beatles....Drums Bass Lead & Rhythm Giutar. I played on a 12 string Univox copy of an ES 335 and played Rhythm. The action was about 2 feet from the frets. About a year and a half later I purchased my first Rickenbacker 12 String. Around the same time, I saw the movie Monterrey Pop, in particular Jimi Hendrix. Guess what happened to the Univox.

Steve

Post Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:56 am 

I was in the 8th grade back in '72. Myself and 2 friends entered the talent show useing Fender Mustangs supplied by the music dept. We called ourselves the Steel String Trio.
We won 1st place singing LSD and Happy Together.
After that we changed our name to the Bigits. ( Our first name initals with I's in between.) We were so good when we played She Loves You in the back yard, we weren't pelted with Jelly Babies but with rocks.
Our only gig was at a Mormon Church with a real stage.
I can still remember my one and only groupie with her elbows on the stage and hands over her ears...

Post Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:21 am 

1980, I was playing a Les Paul standard through a homemade amp. Just a drummer and myself. Now I'm on bass in a country band, and a Ric at that.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:58 am 

Spring of '78, I joined a band that was comprised of a bunch of guys from different high schools. I was just graduating from 8th grade and would be a freshman that coming September. The band was called Rapid Transit and they already had a following among all the local teens, playing dances, house parties and various functions and I was instantly popular with all the little betties. We were all just a bunch of smart alec punks who wanted to be Rock Stars. We had the typical Rock band lineup of 2 guitars, bass and drums. Both the guitarists had spank new Les Paul Standards, the drummer had a killer set of '68 Ludwigs and I had a '66 Fender P-Bass that I had just bought 2 months before.

My first gig with them was a July 4th celebration at a local regional park with over 3,000 people in attendance. I was 15 at the time and I thought I would soil myself when I looked out from the stage! We played all the stuff that was popular back in the day; Zeppelin, Stones, ZZ Top, Bad Company, Skynyrd, Joe Walsh, Rod Stewart and the like. Well, about half way through the set, I pop my E string. Of course, you never expect a bass string to go, but sure enough it happend to me. Then two songs later, the A string goes. I'm thinking, "Oh ain't this just great?!?". Well, I start just playing upper register stuff and managed to finish the gig...of course by then it sounded like a 3 guitar band! If ever there was a case of "baptism under fire", that was it right there. After that gig, I was never nervous about playing in public again and decided that that was the life for me! Stupid kid..........here I am nearly 30 years later still doing this thing called "music", only nowadays I'm a guitarist and have done pretty well. That said, I'm gonna make sure that my kid gets a good education and an equally good job!

Post Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:36 am 

My first show was sometime around 1984 or 85, when I was in college. I got together with a bass-playing friend and formed my first band. I'd had my Rickenbacker for several years but hadn't thought I'd play in a band, until I really got into the punk/New Wave thing and had another friend who played a Ric bass in a 60's garage type outfit (the Rhomboids). I figured, if he could do it, so could I.

So (the other) bassist and I got a hyperactive but good drummer, and took a while finding a singer. Our intention was to perform originals, and we came up with a couple sets' worth and looked for gigs. I came up with the band name Schadenfreude (which plagued us with many venue advert mis-spellings).

Our first gig, I believe, was at Hood College, a women's school in Maryland. It was sparsely attended. For some reason, Mark Noone of the Slickee Boys was there, a friend of someone's, I guess. We had rented some crap PA equipment that day and did all the sound ourselves, and things went wrong of course. I believe our show was rather poor - none of us were accomplished musicians - but it was a start.

Other early shows were at the tiny Grog and Tankard in upper Georgetown, DC, and Fat Tuesdays in Fairfax, Virginia. We played DC Space several times, one of my favorite places to play or see a band. We gigged fairly regularly in the DC/Virginia area for about 2 years. The only non-local show was at a club called Revival in Philadelphia. One of my favorite gigs was with the Lyres from Boston (playing in DC).

My 330 was my only guitar at the time, and it got a good bit of attention/interest. There was a mod/psychedeli-garage revival in DC in the 80's, so Ricks and Voxs were popular.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:12 am 

Spring of 1987, State College, PA. The "Art Virus" debuts at a local bar called the Brickhouse, open mike night. Velvet Underground covers, god awful. But then we knew we weren't that good, and it didn't really matter anyway.

An exchange student remarked to our lead singer, in her beautiful French accent, that he sang "zhust like Donovan." Good times. I hear the bar was torn down a few years later to make a parking lot.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:53 pm 

Early 1981 me and three friends got a band together we were all into The Jam big time and used to travel all over the country to watch them.We started playing local pubs and clubs around the newcastle area.
In the summer of 82 The Jam announced they were doing a uk tour in sept and they were going to be playing two nights at whitley bay ice rink( our home town).We decided to send a tape to jonn weller(pauls dad and the jam's manager)asking for a support slot we really knew we had no chance.Fast forward 28th sept 82 the jam played a blinder we got back stage got to speak with paul asked if he had heard our tape,he had a word with his dad and they said if you want to play turn up at 4oclock with your gear the next day we will put you on for twenty minutes before the support band The Questions we nearlly passed out.
29th sept we turned up watched the jam soundcheck (we didn't know it but weller had decided to split the band up by this time) did our twenty minutes there was about 3000 jam fans in when we played ! i was sick.We hung around backstage thinking we were the bees knees i got to ogle wellers rickenbackers close up, and watched The Jam play from the side of the stage,and when we thought it couldn't get any better they chipped in and gave us £25.What a night i've still got my backstage pass framed along with all my jam ticket stubs,25 years on i'm still up and down the uk watching weller play.Happy days.

Board index » General Forum