Board index » General Forum

Post subject: Need Advice On Finish Checking
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:35 pm 

I just had a 1981 Ruby Red 360-12 shipped to me (deep South area) from a dealer in New Jersey. It was described as being "mint". When I opened the case, there was a large amount of finish checking both front and back. Seller said this was not the case before he shipped it to me ( UPS ground x 6 days) and said that opening the guitar in a warm room while the guitar is still cold from the outside will cause this amount of checking. But it was between 45 and 50 degrees and clear weather the day it was delivered and after bringing the boxed guitar in from our front porch (box had been there 15-30 minutes) I left guitar/box unopened while we went out to supper, so I didn't open the guitar till we returned home several hours later. To get to the point, finally, are Ric finishes that fragile? Seller has been gracious about taking the guitar back, but I'm reluctant to order others if their finishes really have to be handled that carefully. I would appreciate any advice, as I'm a Rickenbacker novice. I've got a new Midnight Blue 370 that I wouldn't part with for any price (no problem with its finish after delivery).

Post subject: Re: Need Advice On Finish Checking
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:41 am 

a small amount of finish checking is kinda cool ... it is one way to tell you have a real Rickenbacker

Post Posted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:23 am 

I have a 330/12 and it happened to me. Rapid and extreme differences in temperatures with a hollow body or semi hollow body can be hard on them. Lesson learned the hard way for me. Cold days and cold outdoor gigs means I use a solid body for now on. It can still happen to them too, but they're probably a little more robust.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:51 am 

Thanks very much for the advice. As I said, I'm a newbie and any info is really helpful.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:15 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
To get to the point, finally, are Ric finishes that fragile? Seller has been gracious about taking the guitar back, but I'm reluctant to order others if their finishes really have to be handled that carefully.
It's not just RIC's that will check in these conditions- it's most instruments. It has more to do with the wood and how it's been hydrated than the finish itself.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:44 pm 

When ordering an instrument from a different temperature zone, say somewhere pretty cold, it is a very good idea to wait before opening it in a warm area. I've read in many places of people waiting up to 48 hours before opening a guitar case in order to let the guitar slowly adapt back to indoor temperature.

The thing is, your guitar probably spent some time in a cold delivery truck, cold hangar and cold airplane on it's way to you. It was probably used to a freezing cold and if someone opened it and exposed it to heat too quickly, that would be when the checking occurred.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:25 am 

I guess I have been lucky. I haven't had finish checking occur AFTER I have bought any guitar. My 1989 370/12 RM still shows no sign of checking. On cold gig days, the car is pre-warmed, and the guitars are taken straight from the house to the car, to the gig and vice-versa. I never put them in the trunk or leave them in the car for any length of time in hot or cold weather.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:57 am 

While it is certainly true that rapid changes in temperature/humidity can cause this type of problem, I believe you indicated this was a 1981 model. If so, I would not be surprised that a certain amount of finish checking already existed at the time the guitar was shipped, notwithstanding their claim that the guitar was in 'mint' condition. I suppose you can never know for sure, but since this is a 27-year old guitar, on the face of it I would be somewhat skeptical that it truly was in 'mint' condition.

Board index » General Forum