Board index » General Forum

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: When did they play their 12 strings?
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:06 pm 

"So You Wanna Be a Rock 'n' Roll Star" by the Byrds and later covered by Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers is another definitve use of the 12 string sound.

I also believe that "The Waiting" is played on a Ric 12... anyone else know different?

Post Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:04 am 

Quote:
When it comes to Ric 12 strings, I really like the Beach Boys' cover of "California Dreamin".

I was finally able to get a copy of California Dreamin" by the Beach Boys and have to say that it is by far the best rendition of that song I've ever heard. The guitar work is perfect and the harmonies dead on. Great song!

Post Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 8:41 am 

Does anyone know that the Nightcrawlers featured a young Gregg Allman, and that "Little Black Egg" was recorded in Daytona Beach? Also, as far as 12-string work, check out Peter & Gordon's "If I Were You", which has someone playing an electric 12-string (assuming it's a Rick 12), but I have no idea who is playing it. I don't think it's Peter Asher or Gordon Waller. If anyone knows, please post.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 8:51 am 

The Byrds' album "Younger Than Yesterday" has the David Crosby bizarre tune "Mind Gardens", with the 12-string guitars played backwards (I'm assuming that Crosby did all the guitar tracks himself). If you check out the 1996 CD reissue of "Younger....", there is a hidden, uncredited bonus track at the end of the CD. It's an instrumental version of "Mind Gardens" with the guitar tracks played FORWARD!!!! A cool find, I'd say. McGuinn and Hillman probably would have been okay with that version instead, had Crosby not intended to have the final version put on the album to begin with. Most anyone who knows the history of the Byrds may be led to believe that the eventual crumbling relationship which eventually led to Crosby getting kicked out of the group could have started with the disagreements over "Mind Gardens" being included on the album. One of the few times where Crosby got over on McGuinn and Hillman.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:57 am 

Quote:
Also, as far as 12-string work, check out Peter & Gordon's "If I Were You", which has someone playing an electric 12-string (assuming it's a Rick 12), but I have no idea who is playing it. I don't think it's Peter Asher or Gordon Waller. If anyone knows, please post.

"If I Were You" was released on February 28, 1964. Considering George Harrison received his first Rickenbacker 360/12 in February of '64, there's a possibility there could have been a Rick 12 string in the studio with Peter and Gordon though it's probably not likely. Peter and Gordon played their guitars on their recordings but they did frequently use studio musicians including John Paul Jones who added his talents to Led Zeppelin and Brian Jones of the Rolling Stones. If anyone knows, it could be Peter Asher or Gordon Waller. After all, they were there.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:20 am 

Mind Gardens is easily the worst song ever to appear on a Byrds album. A really neat Byrds song featuring the 12 string is "She Don't Care About Time." Dave Crosby's "Lady Friend" would've been a much more appropriate song to include on "Younger Than Yesterday."

Post Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:38 am 

I think Crosby's song, "It happens Each Day" would of been a better song, than "Mind Gardens". "Lady Friend", would of been nice on "The Notorious Byrd Brothers".

Post Posted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 10:14 am 

Yeah, I agree. I first heard "It Happens Each Day" from the "Never Before" album, and couldn't understand why that song was left off "YTY". That truly would have been a better choice than "Mind Gardens". And "Notorious" should have had both "Lady Friend" and "Triad" on it.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 10:19 am 

Note to No Other: "Lady Friend", although it appears on the 1996 reissue of "Younger Than Yesterday", could not have appeared on the original "Younger" release because the liner notes from "Never Before" indicate that the song was recorded on April 21, 1967, two months after "Younger" was released. Not sure if Crosby had yet written it then, but it might not have made the album anyway.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:42 pm 

Hey Orlando Byrd Fan. Nice to see a fellow Orlando Rickenabacker/Byrds forum member here.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next

Board index » General Forum