Board index » General Forum

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: When did they play their 12 strings?
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:22 am 

Do the Romantics use a Ric 12? It sure sounds like it and in some of the photos I've seen there is a Ric in use but I can't tell if its a 12 or a 6.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:41 am 

Quote:
Do the Romantics use a Ric 12?

The Romantics have featured a Rickenbacker 12 string plus a 6 stringer and a Rick bass. Some Rick rockin' from the Motor City.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:07 am 

Thanks. It sure sounds like a Ric 12 in their hit "What I like about you". I've been playing a custom 12 in my band, that was made by another company but I guess I'm gonna have to get a Ric 12. Which means that I'll also have to get a Vox AC30 for the Beatle and Byrds sets. Dang, my wifes gonna kill me. ;-)

Post Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:25 am 

Quote:
in some of the photos I've seen there is a Ric in use but I can't tell if its a 12 or a 6.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:31 am 

Quote:
in some of the photos I've seen there is a Ric in use but I can't tell if its a 12 or a 6.

You're right. I've also seen several different Ricks in photos of the Romantics and it's not easy to pinpoint which model. Some photos include what appears to be a 350V63 and I recall a picture of what looks like a 365 plus there's a 4003 on stage in some photos. If you're going for the Beatles/Byrds 12 string sound, then a Rickenbacker 12 string is your definite choice.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:36 pm 

To Paul and OBF5- I'm right up the road in Jax. Maybe we can meet up at the Feb. guitar show in Orlando and talk Rick. -Dr.Phil

Post Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:33 am 

Hey Dr Phil. That sounds great. Write me off line.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:05 pm 

What about the 'Crossroads' theme. It must have been a twelvestring of some sort!

Post Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:17 am 

You'll find tons of 12 string rick songs in the "Mod" genre of music, (as well as 6 string and vox amps),due to the Townshend/Weller/Beatle inspiration. Here's one of my personal faves;
The Chords-"So far away"-12 string Rick(looks like 330/12) on every track doing both rhythm and some lead along with a Les Paul. Great example of a lightly overdriven 12 string with that great cash register ring. Very upbeat rock/power pop and a couple of well done covers. Captain Mod out of england has reissued this album on cd with tons of extras.
Also highly recommended is the -Purple Hearts-"Beat That" reissue that features tons of great 12 string work, but I am not sure if is a Rickenbacker.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:14 am 

I love it when you american folks talk about our 60's British acts with such affection and authority.
One thing though, 12-string guitars in the UK didn't start with George's Rickenbacker! (Although the electric 12 certainly did!)
At the end of the fifties Skiffle was all the rage for two short years and a 12-string acoustic, (mostly Martins and Gibsons with sound-hole pickups), was obligatory.
Gordon Waller was mostly seen on TV with a Gibson acoustic 12-string and a 12 is heard on almost all of their early singles. I doubt If he played it himself as session musicians were almost certainly used to get the recordings done in the shortest possible time. I never heard of Brian Jones taking part though. Listen to "World Without Love", "Nobody I Know" and "I Don't Want To See You Again" all featuring a 12 prominantly. Obviously an acoustic though.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next

Board index » General Forum