Board index » General Forum

Post subject: Sticky Ric strings
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:15 am 

I just restring my Ric 360/6 FG with the Ric 95403 10-42 strings. All the wound strings (E-D) were sticky and had some discoloration. I tried cleaning the strings with some dunlop cleaner and that helped some. Just wondering if its common for the strings to be sticky. I read a post in the thread I linked to above about a some stickiness.

I do have 4 other packs of these strings, but hate to try another one already. The previous strings were still stock from the factory (had the guitar about a year and always wipe down the strings with a rag when I am done playing so I get alot of life from them).

For my other guitars I use D'Addario 10-46, but I could pick up a 10-42 pack.

http://www.rickenbacker.com/forum_view_ ... %20strings

Post subject: Re: Sticky Ric strings
 Post Posted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:22 am 

I just replaced the strings again, the 2nd set was just as sticky as the first. So I opened the other 3 new packs of strings and they were sticky as well. Its like a machining oil was left on these strings. They make the guitar feel like someone was eating a mess popsicle when last playing it. Very disappointed with the Ric strings.

Found some Curt Mangans at pick of the ricks, going to go with them. I have used Curt Mangan before on my strat and liked them.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:08 pm 

Some manufacturers may coat metal items in grease or oil to inhibit corrosion. If the sticky residue doesn't wipe off easily, dampen the cloth with alcohol.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:50 pm 

Never had this problem; hundreds of sets of new RIC strings have passed through my eager hands...

I'd suggest nasphtha as opposed to alcohol for cleaning, or better yet, Dr. Stringfellow's LEM-OIL, which also lightly lubricates the windings on the heavier strings, forestalling corrosion. Spray onto a clean soft cloth, wipe off, wipe and buff with a dry soft cloth.

Oh, that's AFTER you get them strung on your guitar!

Post Posted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:33 am 

Yes, naphtha is a better choice. Cuts through almost any kind of gunk, won't hurt your guitar's finish and evaporates quickly, leaving no residue. It's also commonly refered to as lighter fluid.

I've never used the Dr. Stringfellow stuff, but I doubt Jingle Jangle would steer you wrong.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:57 pm 

I tried the lighter fluid and it did help, but did about as much as the Dunlop string cleaner I used before. There was a black substance that came off the strings, like old machine oil. The strings were still sticky after cleaning, they were better, but still not right.

Got in the Curt Mangans pick of the ricks strings and they are great. No stickiness at all. I think I will be going with Curt Mangans from now on, they were cheaper than the Ric strings and hopefully I won't get a batch of sticky strings.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:30 pm 

You know, there's no reason you can't use the D'Addario 10-46 strings on your 360. I use them on my Ric 6 strings and so do many other players here.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:57 pm 

Quote:
You know, there's no reason you can't use the D'Addario 10-46 strings on your 360. I use them on my Ric 6 strings and so do many other players here.

Do you have to file the nut on the lower 3 strings to use 10-46?

Rechecking the intonation is not a big deal, but I would rather not file the nut...

Board index » General Forum