Board index » General Forum

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Your dream Rickenbacker
 Post Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:29 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
The only dream I could have regarding Rickenbacker is for them to somehow replicate that Crushed Pearl Inlay they had from 1965 to about 1971...
That's a dream of mine as well.
Did you see the recent DW drums coverings? They have one called "broken glass" or something lik that which is pretty similar to the old crushed pearl...

Back to topic, my dream Rickenbacker is the 4001CS: any on sale?

Post Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:00 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
Did you see the recent DW drums coverings? They have one called "broken glass" or something lik that which is pretty similar to the old crushed pearl...
There's lots of similar materials out there but if you hold them up to the original inlay, you'll see that it's really unique stuff.

It was originally produced by a Japanese company in Nagoya, Japan which, unfortunately is long out of business. I did some detective work and figured out that the shell material they used probably came from a small Japanese island just off the coast of Taiwan. I therefore flew down to Ishigaki Island ( http://www.alfcen.com/okinawa/pic-ishi.htm ) to investigate and indeed, this type of shell is piled up in huge mounds along the beaches of this little atoll. It's also now a marine national park and every shell is protected by law, so the chances of a perfect match are unlikely.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:32 pm 

ahh Okinawa my uncle fought there many years ago.
Looks like a nice place today.

Back on topic is this type shell only located there?
Just our luck, how'd FC Hall find this stuff in the first place.
I'd pull a piece out of an old guitar and have a pearl or shell expert see what they can come up with that's close or exact.

There's a jeweler in New York who gets the best Pearls in the world from that area.
That's all he does is Pearls, nothing else.

I don't know much about seashells, but it's pretty interesting stuff that I wanna checkup on here on the internet.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:43 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Good luck.

We have a number of samples from old instruments that we've shipped all over the world trying to locate similar materials. I have at least 50 samples in my office closet right now, none of which look right at all.

The shells themselves look more like a mussel but a combination of the iridescence and the unique way the material flakes is what gives it its character. It's almost like fish scales. While I'd call the coloration "pearlescent", it's not really like a pearl. In fact, I traveled to the island of Tahaa to visit a pearl farm ( http://www.mousepad.org/Cruise97/photo% ... l_farm.htm ) thinking this might interesting stuff but it wasn't.

No one remembers how the original material was found but some of the earliest Roger Rossmiesl guitars have it, so I'd say he had a hand in it.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:47 pm 

I hope I'm the happy camper. :)

Post Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:57 pm 

Pearl, Seashell, Oyster it's all confusing to me.
It's a shame the info and company needed is lost in time.

50 samples of it that look nothing close sounds dismal to me.
I remember about 5 years ago someone in Vintage Guitar Magazine had a whole NOS sheet of it for sale.

Ed Roman also said he might know a guy who had some of it?

Post Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:05 am 

Well, we may ask Bulgari, Tiffany or some other fine jewellers... but in case of success, we'd see Rickenbackers on sale only at Sotheby's... :-)

Post Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:11 am 

Well the plastic stuff seems to be ok since Rickenbacker has been using it in the Standard and V Series forever it seems.

What material is used on the 360/12C63, it's clearly different than the V Series inlay, it's whiter like on George's first 12 string.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:29 am 

I do not have only one "dream Rickenbacker" ... I could think of a lot of new variations of the traditional Rickenbacker designs. My favorite choice would be a mapleglo 350 with a newly designed vibrato unit that works like a Bigsby but stays in tune, a wider 650 style neck, three vintage pickups and one humbucker with four on/ off switches - one for each pickup - but only one volume knob and only one tone knob for all of them and Schaller locking machine heads instead of the standard Schaller machine heads that are used for most RICs now.

"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture." (Elvis Costello)

Post Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:36 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The stuff that people have been touting as "lookalike" comes from fellow named Chuck Erikson (aka "Duke of Pearl")in N. Calif. His stuff is similar in coloration but it's not really the same, as his material has bits that are oriented like pages in a book. Our original material is more random, faces generally forward, and layered front to back. If you don't look closely, it'll pass.

His stuff is incredibly expensive, by the way. No doubt this is who Ed Roman is referring to.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next

Board index » General Forum