Board index » General Forum

Post subject: Re: What's wrong with the 381JK
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:31 am 

Quote:
I despise Japanese cars and Apple Computers

Shame, I love both of them. Subarus are amazing vehicles, and I love apples. I even met Justin Long (Main endorser of Apple Computers) one time, who signed my iPod. If you ever need help to switch, Mr. Hall, just give me a holler.

I must say, though. German Porsches kick the crap out of Japanese Subarus.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:21 am 

John Kay has excellent taste in guitars. I wonder what kind of computers and cars he likes, and if he still has this Rick:

Post Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:43 pm 

I know John Kay's crew( well a couple of guys that worked with him), and I was told that JK still owns 2 of the limited edition 381s and just got one, or maybe both back from RIC earlier this year after a re-finish and fret job etc. Computer status- unknown.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:56 am 

What amp are you playing it through?

Post Posted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:07 am 

I've seen John Kay play his 381JK in concert and he was rockin' with that guitar. Great sound, Rock Me baby!

Post Posted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:39 am 

I saw John Kay and Steppenwolf in Jan 1989 in the Crystal Ball Room at the Grand Hotel. A show put on by Rickenbacker for RIC dealers (I was a RIC dealer then). I was in the front row about 12 feet from JK and his guitar (a 381jk) sounded great, as did the rest of the band. Thank you Mr Hall for making that possible.

As Mr Hall says above "The John Kay electronics are most certainly different than any other guitar around and those that are unable to spend the time (or care) to learn its capabilities will never appreciate what it can do."

Mr Hall is correct.

I have a 1988 381jk and this is one awesome guitar. It sounds fantastic. The pickups are humbuckers (single coil too). The first week I had it I didn't think it sounded very good. Very high end treblely and a clipping low end too. Very odd.

Then I remembered the electronics are ACTIVE. That means you can add bass and or treble. In active mode the bass and treble controls are normal at 5 and you can add or subtract from there.

Many people (I did when I first got my 381jk) turn the controls all the way up (as you would on passive electronics) and the tone is horrible. Set your active controls on 5 and go from there.

With standard passive electronics you can not add bass or treble. You can only cut a frequency. A tone control turned wide open doesn't do anything, it is as if nothing is there, but as you turn it down you remove the frequency that the capacitor installed covers.

Spend the time to learn its capabilities and you will be pleased.

And as for the battery. The new alkaline, lithium and extra life high end batteries sound trebley/hot. Use a regular carbon 9 volt and unplug when not playing the guitar. The regular 9 volts will not last for a long time but the are not as hot and isn't tone the whole deal here. In my store over many years I have heard dozens on guitar players say " I would do anything to get such & such tone". Well in many cases maybe changing out the battery more often is all you need to do.

It doesn't make sense to put a alkaline or lithium battery in a 60's f/x pedal. Those are not the batteries that the units were made for (or with). Use what was used at the time it was made. My 68 Vox wah sounds great with a regular EverReady 9v, and crappy with a copper top battery.

-------------------------------------------------
found this on the web ........

The term "passive" when used in talking about an electric guitars refers to the fact that the volume and tone controls on the instrument can only cut or turn down the volume and the treble of the signal being generated by the pickup. If you were to remove the controls and wire the pickup directly to the output jack on the bass, you would basically have the same sound as if the controls were still there and turned up all the way. The controls do not "add" anything, only subtract or take away volume and treble. This is why passive electronics on a bass do not have seperate treble and bass controls, just one tone pot.

Active" is when you have a small electronic pre-amp built into the bass. There is no such thing as an "active" pickup. The EMG actives are still a passive pickup, but with a small on-board pre-amp built right into the pickup cover so you don't see it. The "Active" pre amp allows you to cut AND add volume and tone. Typically they allow you to cut or add +/- 9 to 18 dB of volume, treble, bass, and some pre-amps have a midrange control as well.

An active system will not change the overall tone or "timbre" of your instrument, but will simply give you more of what the instrument already has to offer. A p-bass with an active pickup still sounds like a p-bass, but you have a stronger signal and more cut/boost of the treble and bass.

http://www.basscrawler.org/columns/bass ... and_passiv

--------------------------------

I hope this helps with your problems with the John Kay model. It is an awesome guitar.

Post Posted: Tue May 31, 2016 6:21 pm 

Does anybody have any pictures of the electronics inside a 381JK John Kay Limited Edition guitar? Just curious how it's laid out inside. Does the 381JK use 330K or 500K pots?

Board index » General Forum