Board index » General Forum

Post subject: Re: What's wrong with the 381JK
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:33 am 

For what it's worth, I saw JK's 381JK up close earlier this year.(back stage pass) It had recently come back from the RIC factory, having been re-finished. However, from maybe too much time left in the cargo van that lives in the 100+ degree heat of Las Vegas, the finish was orange-peeling a bit on the face. That is what's wrong with the 381 JK himself used. I can't comment on the tone, other than it sounded pretty good in concert when Steppenwolf played in Alahambra CA.Last April.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:39 am 

Quote:
For what it's worth, I saw JK's 381JK up close earlier this year.(back stage pass) It had recently come back from the RIC factory, having been re-finished. However, from maybe too much time left in the cargo van that lives in the 100+ degree heat of Las Vegas, the finish was orange-peeling a bit on the face. That is what's wrong with the 381 JK himself used. I can't comment on the tone, other than it sounded pretty good in concert when Steppenwolf played in Alahambra CA.Last April.

I attended that Alhambra street concert, too, and I can vouch for what Todd says about the splendid tone of John Kay's 381. Regards.....Goofyfoot.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:36 am 

Hi,

I absolutely love my JK Limited. It took me some getting used to it but with its electronics mine can roar. Maybe go to a rick dealer in your area and get some assitance woking with it. If you do sell it ou definately make money on it as they are hard to find. Good luck!

Post Posted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:04 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The John kay electronics are most certainly different than any other guitar around and those that are unable to spend the time (or care) to learn its capabilities will never appreciate what it can do.

In fact, I'm quite proud of this circuit design and I have to tell you I've installed it in a number of friends instruments to great effect. Actually, I think you heard the quote backwards, because it's more like a Pontiac with a Ferrari engine. Not only are the pickups physically humbucking, they also have electronic differential humbucking; no guitar with this level of gain is so quiet and stable.

You have to spend time with the manual in order to make it happen.

Indeed, John Kay has used this guitar with this circuit for many, many years and wouldn't do so if he didn't love it. He didn't design the circuitry, however; that was done by Bob Desiderio, now one of Fender's top engineers, under my direct supervision.

More than anything, it's a matter of taste. For example, I despise Japanese cars and Apple Computers, but many other people like those things and both are considered successes.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:53 am 

381JK is very powerful i do want to have one. It looks cool and it is assume. This knowledge what i got was very useful for me.
=============================
Thomson

Post Posted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:54 am 

381JK is very powerful i do want to have one. It looks cool and it is assume. This knowledge what i got was very useful for me.
=============================
Thomson
[url=http://www.gov-auctions.org]Auto Auctions[/url]

Post Posted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:55 pm 

Quote:
and those that are unable to spend the time (or care) to learn its capabilities will never appreciate what it can do.

That certainly aplies to Apple Coputer as well IMHO.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:24 am 

Let's tie the computer thing into the thread, eh? Some people use Windows, some Mac OSX, some use a flavor of Linux.

I prefer to use my Rickenbacker. It smashs through the internet as if the series of tubes were made of thin glass.

The moral of this post? RTFM, NEWB!

And now we can all get back to the love and hugs and good tone.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:26 pm 

My advice: if you don't like it, sell it, and get another guitar that you will enjoy.

Pete

Post Posted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:51 am 

Quote:
The moral of this post? RTFM, NEWB!

hahaha, that's the last thing most of us do.

Board index » General Forum