Board index » Setup And Technical

Post subject: Multiple Pickup Types on One Guitar
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:52 pm 

Although it is common on other brands of guitars to see combinations of different types of pickups (mix of single coil and humbucker, etc.), I don't recall ever seeing that on a Rickenbacker guitar. The Ric basses of course are an exception, with the combination horseshoes and toasters or hi-gains.

Since all three basic Ric guitar pickup types (toasters, hi-gains and humbuckers) are the same size and should be interchangeable with little or no modifications, I would think you could get the best of both worlds by having, say, a toaster bridge and hi-gain neck pickup. Or a toaster, hi-gain and humbucker on a 340 or 370? I'm sure somebody must have tried something like that; has anyone on this forum done it and how did it work out? Would there be any major rewiring or additional circuit components necessary?

Not that I have any intention of trying something like that, i am just curious, that's all. I am perfectly happy with the hi-gains on my 330/12.

Post subject: Re: Multiple Pickup Types on One Guitar
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:12 am 

Several models, including the Susanna Hoffs signature, have mixed pickups.

Post subject: Multiple Pickup Types on One Guitar
 Post Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:15 pm 

I have a 370 WB with two Toaster-covered High Gains in the Neck & Middle positions and an HB1 in the Bridge. It gives it a good sound for the types of music I play. When connecting a four-wire HB1 with other pickups, you have to watch out for the polarity or it could be out of phase.

Board index » Setup And Technical