Board index » Setup And Technical

Post subject: Rickenbacker TRC
 Post Posted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:54 pm 

Hi,
Just bought a Rickenbacker TRC to replace one that was stolen.
The stolen one was from my 1994 330-6 and was a raised letter type. The one I got was a Plexi one.

It turned up this morning and the holes appear to be in the wrong place and are out on the Plexi one by some 4mm to far in the long direction and 4mm narrower in the two at the Nut end.

Here's a comparison with the one from my 1996 360-6.

Any ideas if the Plexi one is a fake or from a much earlier guitar or different model?
I did think all TRC's had the holes in the same place regardless of age or model.

Thanks in advance
TRM

Post subject: Re: Rickenbacker TRC
 Post Posted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:02 pm 

As far back as I remember the vintage "Plexi" are slightly longer than the modern style nameplates. RIC changed them around '71 or so. It's not a fake, just the vintage '60s style nameplate.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:45 pm 

Thanks for that,
It's the hole spacing that is bothering me not the actual length of the TRC.
So were the hole spacing different on the earlier ones?
Here's a comparison of my '96 one vs the Plexi one just got.
Plexi in blue : -
Plastic '96 in Red : -

Nut end hole centers :
1" for the Plexi
1&1/8th" For the Plastic '96

Nut end hole centers to pointy end center :
5&1/16ths" for the Plexi
4&7/8ths" for the Plastic '96

Does this seem right?

Cheers
TRM

Post Posted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:54 pm 

That looks about right. The hole spacings are period correct to the '60s specs. Quite a while back I changed out a modern TRC for a vintage style and I believe the bottom two screws will manage to fit, but the top screw you'll either have to not use or carefully route it into the headstock with a screwdriver.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:28 pm 

Just got some more info on the TRC I bought.
It was used on a Greco copy that has since been disposed of and he kept the TRC..... But he bought the TRC from Reverb and apparently it came from a pre 1974 360 or 325.

Either one of the holes in the Plexi TRC at the Nut end will line up the other is 1/8th of an inch out and the 'pointy-end' hole in the Plexi is is 3/16ths beyond the hole in the head-stock, so I would have to dowel and re-drill which I'm a bit reluctant to do.

Cheers
TRM

Post Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:49 pm 

I've been on a mission for about 10 years to convert my '95 360/12, which I bought new, to gold plastic. Purely for cosmetic reasons. I dig that late 50's aesthetic with the gold and stove knobs, and I think it works with the MapleGlo better than white plastic.
Pickguards were easy. Knobs, no problem. TRC? Man. First, try to find... any. They're very difficult to find. And most of the gold ones are vintage, so they're not cheap.
And then, as mentioned, the size and spacing have changed.
I bought one that I re-sold, because it wasn't even close, and then found one that looked good by the measurements, but kind of like the example above, it's just slightly too big, and while the bottom two holes line up, the top part of the wave crests a little farther to the right than mine, which has two problems. First, the top hole is off. Second, because of the tight spacing on a 12, the crest creeps over the tuner channel a little. I think it must have been originally from a 6.
I'm sticking with this one. It gives me the look I wanted, and nobody will notice it's off at the top unless they're really paying attention.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:11 am 

Brutha, do I ever feel your pain.
I have a fetish for black (Jet glo in this case, of course) with gold hardware where possible on all of my stage guitars and basses. My 660 and 660/12 are fine from the factory but I have jet glo 330, 350v63, 350/12v63, and a 4003 bass that I’ve been in the process of converting to all gold plastic. Pickguardian’s shop has turned out to be just across town from me so that’s a huge blessing for the guards but Tony won’t go near TRC’s from threat of retribution from John Hall.

An email reply from RIC recommended eBay. Those gold ones are REALLY expensive and I’ve had to return no less than 4(!) because they were either from the wrong guitar or the wrong era! And I STILL don’t have a single one that fits any of those instruments!!!

I prattled on about all to let you know that you’re not alone and that I wish you the best of luck and you have my sympathy.

Board index » Setup And Technical