Board index » Setup And Technical

Post subject: Intonation math
 Post Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:41 am 

Hi there. I would like to know where I can find information about intonation math.
Thanks

Post subject: Re: Intonation math
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:25 am 

Google is your friend...

Post Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:31 am 

What intonation math? Most intonation is set by comparing the 12th fret octave harmonic to the fretted 12th fret octave: compared to the harmonic octave, if the fretted octave intonations sharp, screw the saddle backwards; if the octave intonates flat, screw the saddle forwards.

Now, where to approximately set the saddles before fine tuning: screw each saddle backwards by approximately the diameter of a wound string, or the core of a wound string.

That is why, for instance, for those who use conventional plain-3rd G-string sets the D string saddle forward while the plain G saddle is more to the rear.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:30 am 

Thanks for answering. Sorry. I used the wrong word, math. I should have written just for help. I have made intonation with my several guitars as well as others and, yes, it´s a trial and error procedure. If the sounds in the 12 th fret are not similar you just move the saddles, backward or forward.
I have noticed several things. If the strings are old, when I change them for newer ones the intonation changes. The same happens when I change, say, medium gauge strings for light or ultralight strings. Different brands and models have different distances between nut and bridge and between frets. In a 6 or 12 string electric guitar you just move the saddles for a correct intonation.
But in an acoustic guitar you just depend on a correct design. I have used electric guitar strings for an acoustic, and Phosfor bronze too and the intonation changes. So, I guess the string material affects. I have put pieces of plastic or bone in the bridge nut position to compensate for a good intonation because the nut is fixed. Some comercial nuts are made with a curved line, wich is ok, but just for the 5 th string only the position of the line in the nut is different from the other ones. I don´t know the reason.
My question should have been probably for main factors that affect intonation.
Thanks in the hope to learn more about of this issue.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:08 pm 

I made a typing error. On the rough set, back the saddles by the diameter of the plain string for the E, B, and G if plain, and the diameter of the core of G, if wound, D, A, and E. Sorry about mistyping.

Board index » Setup And Technical