Board index » Setup And Technical

Post subject: Intonation on 12-String
 Post Posted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:39 am 

I am constantly having intonation problems on my 330/12. As in I tune it perfectly, but when I fret the 11/12 strings at, say, the third fret, the two are out of tune. I had it worked on by a guy who told me it's because each string does not have its own saddle. Does anyone know how to get the intonation correct?

Post subject: Re: Intonation on 12-String
 Post Posted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:45 am 

Welcome to the forum!

If it's playing out of tune as close to the nut as the third fret, the problem is the nut not the bridge - your tech should know that. The grooves may be too shallow, or pinching the strings slightly.

If the intonation is OK near the nut but out the further you go towards the *body* end of the neck - above about the 7th fret - then the problem is the bridge. You can buy a replacement 12-saddle bridge from Rickenbacker - click on the 'Boutique' link above - but it's quite expensive.

Trust me on this, I am a big fan of the 12-saddle bridge, but I would *not* recommend buying and fitting one unless it's necessary! It also *won't* cure the problem if the true cause is the nut, so make certain the nut is right before you spend the money.

Hope that helps.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:04 am 

Quote:
...Trust me on this, I am a big fan of the 12-saddle bridge...

Me too!

It saved my '82 620/12 from ending up as a wall ornament as I just could not get it tuned right.

The 12-saddle bridge saved the day and the guitar has since become one of my favourite Ricks!

Post Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:03 pm 

RIC twelve strings are designed to intonate correctly as long as the guitar is properly set up (absolutely flat neck and low action) and you use the recommended string gauges (as in the RIC twelve string set).

Post Posted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:55 am 

I'm lucky that my 330/12 intonate just fine with the six saddle bridge that it originally came with. I think Blue Angel is right--a good setup of the gutar is absolutely critical. Also, there's no use in buying a 12-saddle bridge if it's not necessary. I would take the guitar to someone who really knows how to work on Ricks (like all guitars, Ricks have their own quirks) and get them to work on it. There are lots of members on the forum who can recommend guitar technicians.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:24 am 

Interesting thread here - I'm a first-time poster....I have a 360V64 which I loaded with a 12 saddle bridge; it didn't completely wipe out the 11/12 problem, but it helped. I've always believed that the 12th string must be tuned slightly flat, since I have the same problem with an open tuned 12th not being tuned at the 3rd fret.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:44 am 

Quote:
Interesting thread here - I'm a first-time poster....I have a 360V64 which I loaded with a 12 saddle bridge; it didn't completely wipe out the 11/12 problem, but it helped. I've always believed that the 12th string must be tuned slightly flat, since I have the same problem with an open tuned 12th not being tuned at the 3rd fret.
Welcome to the forum!

It really is the nut. (Too high.) The reason it affects the 12th string most is that it has the highest rate of pitch change for a given bend amount, so you notice it more than the others.

My 660/12 plays perfectly in tune, to within 1 cent, on every string at every fret including the low positions on the 12th string, when tuned normally on the open strings. You just have to get the nut cut right.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:49 am 

I just got a new 360/12 and as far as intonation it seems to me that the octave strings are properly intonated at the 12 fret but the primary strings are out a little. Is this how they set it at the factory? I suppose a higher pitch that is off is more noticable than a lower frequency. Is this the reasoning behind the octave strings being intonated correctly and the lower strings are compromised? I am definately going to order a 12 string saddle, I believe it is important to have everything seperately adjusted. An acoustic is a different story I guess. How long does it take to get one after it has been ordered?
VP

Post Posted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:28 am 

Whilst re-tuning my 620-12 to EADF#C#F# I find it impossible to intonate: one string of a couple of pairs going sharp up the fretboard, whilst the other goes sharp. I suspect a 12-saddle bridge is my only solution.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:42 am 

The nut slots must be very carefully adjusted to each player's style and pressure of playing so the strings are not pulled sharp.

Make sure that a set of strings with a wound unison 3rd G string is used so it will intonate properly with the octave string.

The only issue I have with intonation is on the low E, as that is a pair of wound strings. With the different core diameters there will be different string stretch for each string, which is the reason bridge compensation is necessary. I solved the issue by purchasing a blank saddle and filing it offset, so the unison string intonates off the back of the saddle and the octave string intonates off the front of the saddle. Doing that along with a slight nut dressing gives me really good intonation on the low E pair.

Board index » Setup And Technical