Board index » Setup And Technical

Post subject: 330-12 Strings
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:58 pm 

I've owned my 330-12 for over ten years and have had it strung with D'Addario strings (10-46) for almost as long. In my experience the guitar stays in tune perfectly at standard pitch. In fact, it can sit in its case for a week and still not need a tune up. I'm long overdue for a new set of strings. Should I pay the extra money to order a 10-42 set from Pick of the Ricks (like everyone else on this site and on Harmony Central) or can I stick with the D'Addarios which are cheaper and easier to get? I know players warn specifically against D'Addarios, but I have had no problem with them.

Post subject: Re: 330-12 Strings
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:21 pm 

If it ain't broke, (after ten years) don't fix it. Go with the tried and true.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:29 pm 

Who warns against D'Addarios, and why?

I've been using them both for myself and in professional repair work for the last twenty years and more, and I've always found them about the most consistent of any string brand I can think of, and very good value for money. I don't always use them because there are some guitars and sounds that seem to be a little better served with others, but if I had to stick to just one brand for everything, they would be at the top of a very short list.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:53 pm 

A lot of Rickenbacker 12-string players (here and on Harmony Central) complain that they have tuning problems with the D'Addarios. So they recommend setting up the guitar with "Pick of the Ricks" strings(10-42), which are specifically made for 12-string Rickenbackers. Not only does my 330 stay in tune very well, it also has a nice bright sound with the D'Addarios, and the stings really last (Believe it or not, I haven't restrung in several years). So I may ignore all the bad press and stick with the D'Addario XL150's.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:10 pm 

Interesting... I hadn't noticed any reports like that.

In my experience it's not strings that cause (or not) tuning problems, it's the nut or the way the guitar is strung and tuned. It's possible that the D'Addarios - being roundwounds, and very slightly larger gauges than the stock 10-42s, could be binding in the nut grooves slightly though.

I do have the RIC strings on my own Rick 12-string, but I've used D'Addarios in the past, as well as on customers' Ricks, and never had any problems with them. I've also got D'Addario 11s on my 381 6-string, that like yours have been on there at least a year (or perhaps two, I really can't remember!), and stay in tune like a rock.

If you're getting the sound you want and they work for you, no reason to change unless you want to try something else. The RIC strings do have a different sound that I think uniquely suits the Rick 12-string, although I think more with the Toaster pickups than the High-Gains.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:29 am 

I'm with BA. 99% of tuning problems, assuming fresh strings of a reputable brand, are the result of mishandling, not stringing and seating the string correctly, improper winding on the tuning machine, and bridge saddle and nut slot problems. I use D'Addario strings on several of my instruments, including my 360-12WB FG ckbd with good reliability, stability and longevity. Even Mr. JH says D'Addario strings are an acceptable alternative to RIC strings in other threads.

Oh, and I just like 9's, so my stringing is 9-9 11 1/2-11 1/2 (yes, D'Addario makes a plain 11 1/2) 18w-8 24w-10 32w-14 42w-22w.

When I tune my 320 up to a G# "terz" guitar, tuned G#-D#-B-F#-C#-G#, I use 9 11 1/2 17w 22w 30w 40w.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:20 am 

I've seen some complaints online about intonation with recent batches of D'Addario strings—but I've never had a problem myself, and find D'Addarios to be as good as ever. Since there are counterfeit D'Addario strings in circulation, I have to wonder if the reported problems are with the fakes rather than the genuine article.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:32 am 

I use D'Addario (12's) on my six string gits, but I didn't like the sound of them on the 360/12, so changed back to the Ric Compressed.

I had no tuning probs with either strings though.

Try a set I'll bet you like them better...

Post Posted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:44 am 

I'm having my 330/12 restrung, and I still haven't decided between a 10-46 set (which I've used for many years) and a 10-42 set (which might make some of the barre chords easier).
The action on my guitar is about as low as it gets. Would there be more buzz with skinnier strings on the bass side?
Does anyone know what string gauges Roger McGuinn uses?

Post Posted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:11 am 

The 10-42 RIC strings are no lighter than the 10-46 D'Addarios and might actually be slightly *higher* tension. They're 'compressed roundwounds' which means the strings start out larger and are physically squashed into a smaller overall diameter, while keeping the same amount of metal. I've never been able to find out what gauge roundwounds they start out as, but they feel at least like 10-46s to me and maybe a bit more.

They're smoother on the outside because the tops of the round wire windings are flattened. They have a distinctive tone, somewhere between roundwounds and flatwounds and almost a 'compressed' (ie like a compressor pedal) dynamic response too, which to me really just sounds perfect on a 12-string Rick - and less buzz than roundwounds.

Board index » Setup And Technical