Board index » Setup And Technical

Post subject: 360/12 relief issues...
 Post Posted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:21 am 

Hi, I have a problem keeping the neck adjusted on my 2001 360/12.

I tried adjusting the truss rods myself at one point as I always do, but the neck kept returning to having a lot of relief after a couple of days.

So I just had it set up professionally and I pointed out the truss rod adjustments I tried. They said they would leave it for a few days to check it.

So anyway I've had my Ric back about a week and the neck again needs adjusting, the relief is getting ridiculous and raising the action.

I've never had a guitar that did this before, any ideas? I use Ric strings and standard tuning.

Post subject: Re: 360/12 relief issues...
 Post Posted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:18 am 

A possibility - there could be some wood compression happening beneath the plate just below the adjustment nuts or at the anchor point at the heel. If you had a broken rod, the techs would (should?) have noticed immediately. I believe this can be cured by applying a little superglue to the affected area. I note that being a klutz, I'd have a luthier do this for me...

If the rods are deformed or broken, they can be removed and replaced.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:45 am 

Hey thanx, never thought of that, I'll take a look...

Post Posted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:26 am 

Just cranking away on the truss rods will never be a proper solution. The wood will just bend where it wants to accommodate the new length rather than where you need it to.

I experienced a really bad neck on an eBay 4003 once, thought I had just wasted 2 grand, but took it to a luthier in my rural neck of the woods. He pointed out that when he adjusts a neck, he loosens the rods and strings, puts the neck on a jig with clamps to straighten it out where it has to be worked on and then just lightly tightens the truss rod nuts after it's been in the "torture" rack for a few days. In more serious cases, some heat can be applied to adjust things a bit. Pretend the guitar is an auto that has been in an accident. The nuts and bolts are there just to hold things straight, not to pull everything square. Loosen the bolts, get the parts square and then tighten things up.

Since dealing with him, I've adjusted more than a few of my own guitars, even though I lack the sophisticated "torture" equipment he has. If you put a steel rule on the frets you can usually tell where the adjustment has to be. Loosen the strings, loosen the truss rods, put a paperback novel covered with a cloth under the point that you want to bend and then gently apply some pressure on the neck and tail while having someone slowly tighten the rod. Do the adjustments in small steps. Repeat over a few days.

As long as you are not applying big pressure or using anything other than a screw-driver handled tool, you can't do any real damage.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:43 am 

Thanx for the advice, but my Ric was just set up by Gary Brawer, I think he should know how to adjust truss rods, and I've been adjusting rods for 30 years myself.

http://www.brawerguitarrepair.blogspot.com/

Anyway I looked but couldn't see any problem in the headstock end. Not sure how I check the other end.

Not sure if it will help but here's a pic (what good is a thread without pics?)...

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v117/Helgstrand/RicTruss.jpg[/IMG]

Why don't image tags work here?

Post Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:44 pm 

IMG tags don't work here because RIC has not enabled direct upload. The best you can do is post your pix on a hosting site and type in a cut-and-paste link.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:46 am 

Thanx iiipopes.

Here is the link without the img tags...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v117/ ... cTruss.jpg

Post Posted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:47 am 

And make sure to thank the folks at RIC for turning your cut-and-paste link into a hyperlink.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:44 am 

I've never seen that many bare threads showing on any RIC guitar I have checked. For whatever reason, that backing plate near the bridge end may not be holding properly.

Crank the rod a bit and the neck is good, wait a few days and that plate slowly travels and is not holding in the right position. Back to square 1.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:14 am 

Thanx iiipopes and the Ric folks!

So Buchrob how do I check that?

It's sounding like it's going to have to go back to the luthier huh?

Board index » Setup And Technical