Board index » Setup And Technical

Post subject: 4001 Refret
 Post Posted: Wed May 05, 2010 7:31 pm 

Hello & howdo?
I wanted to ask if any forum members know of a trusted luthier or repair workshop in London or the SE of England where I could take my 4001 for a refret? I know that not all guitar techs 'get' Rickenbacker set ups, so I'm keen to get this done properly and once only. Any advice would be gratefully received.

Post subject: Re: 4001 Refret
 Post Posted: Wed May 05, 2010 8:37 pm 

Quote:
Hello & howdo?
I wanted to ask if any forum members know of a trusted luthier or repair workshop in London or the SE of England where I could take my 4001 for a refret? I know that not all guitar techs 'get' Rickenbacker set ups, so I'm keen to get this done properly and once only. Any advice would be gratefully received.

Howdo yourself...

Besides getting the setup right--which mostly involves a sensitivity to the nuances and procedures for truss rod adjustment of Rickenbackers, there's the issue of refinishing the fretboard after the refret.

Although I don't know anyone whom I could recommend, I suggest that whomever you interview to do this, be asked about these two issues.

Post Posted: Wed May 05, 2010 9:45 pm 

You might try contacting Jonny Kinkade of Kinkade Guitars, Bristol. His phone number is: +44 (0) 117 924 3279. He has worked on Rickenbackers in the past, including Dave Gregory's (of XTC) Model 1993/12, which needed a new headstock. I'm not sure if he still works on repairing other makers' guitars (he offers his own line of handmade acoustics) but he might be able to steer you in the right direction. Good luck!

Post Posted: Thu May 06, 2010 11:03 pm 

Clifton, thanks!

I'm going to add Johnny to my list.

Realsteel, if you do have this work done by Johnny, please post and let us know how it went!

Post Posted: Fri May 07, 2010 4:43 am 

Thank you jingle_jangle & Clifton. This is both helpful & appreciated.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:53 pm 

After much thought, I took my 4001 to Charlie Chandler (http://guitar-xperience.com/) in Hampton Wick. It wasn't cheap (£280) but he did an excellent job. The guitar, sounds and looks as good as new and is a joy to play. Thanks to Clifton & Jingle Jangle for their comments.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:02 am 

You're welcome, realsteel!

Board index » Setup And Technical