Board index » Setup And Technical

Post subject: String Life
 Post Posted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:39 pm 

Hi again all.

In light of all the info on here about Thomastik IF's, I'm about to make a purchase for a set for my 360/12.Given they are not available In Australia,like wingman I have to make a purchase From The U.S.A So I'm thinking of buying a few sets so I have a good supply and don't have to order them next time I need a set. Wich leads me to my next question.
Shelf life. Do the strings deteriorate if they are just sitting around for a long lenght of time.

It wouldn't be much point paying for extra sets if they sit in the guitar case for a couple of years; and then I find they have lost their sparkle. Once again any information on experiences on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

Daryl

Post subject: Re: String Life
 Post Posted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:58 pm 

I'm pretty sure you can keep them for years and they'll be fine Daryl. Even when you put them on the guitar they will last for ages. I have had the same set of flatwound's on my 325 and 360 12 string for about 6 months and they still sound great. TI's are the best strings I've ever used, so I'm sure you'll be pleased with the results.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:15 pm 

Thanks for that JohnLeper.

I think I'll go ahead and order a few sets because I'm quite sure after all the posts Ive read about the Thomastiks I'm going to be pretty damn happy with them. And it saves me from reordering them and waiting for them to arrive next time its due for a string change.

Thanks again. Daryl

Post Posted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:53 am 

Just the savings on separately shipping a second set make ordering doubles a good idea.

Whatcha gonna do if you break one, otherwise ????

Post Posted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:03 pm 

Quote:
Just the savings on separately shipping a second set make ordering doubles a good idea.

Whatcha gonna do if you break one, otherwise ????

Bloody good point Buchrob. I'll order 3 sets.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:48 pm 

Buy the best strings you can get locally... nobody will ever hear the difference :o) Remember that changing strings on a 12 string Rickenbacker must be done one by one. Do not remove all the strings.

String changing is btw a quite personal thing. Some change before every gig (which could be three times a week) and others - like me - hate new strings and change two times a year.

Reminds of a story about George Harrison and his Gretsch CG during the second tour to the USA. The guitar had lost almost all of its sound and brilliance and was brought in for a diagnose and repair (Not sure but I think it was Manny's in NYC).

When the guitar came in they soon realized that strings was the original Gretsch strings with rust and erotion . They had never been changed and the guitar was about five years old by then...

A set og fresh strings did the job.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:23 am 

Quote:
Buy the best strings you can get locally...

All strings are imported into Australia. Importing them yourself will save up to 20% as the wholesalers here take a large slice off the top. The environmental cost is the same either way.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:15 pm 

Quote:
Remember that changing strings on a 12 string Rickenbacker must be done one by one. Do not remove all the strings.
Why not?

I always do. It's actually much easier - *especially* on a Rickenbacker 12-string - when there aren't other ones in the way, if you put the new ones on in the right order, and it allows you to properly clean the fingerboard and other areas that are hard to get at with the strings on.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:42 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
Remember that changing strings on a 12 string Rickenbacker must be done one by one. Do not remove all the strings.
Why not?

I always do. It's actually much easier - *especially* on a Rickenbacker 12-string - when there aren't other ones in the way, if you put the new ones on in the right order, and it allows you to properly clean the fingerboard and other areas that are hard to get at with the strings on.

I believe it was an advise coming from mr. Hall not to do so - as it put a pressure on the neck inside out which may cause the fingerboard to pop off. I have to admit I do it too on all my guitars - but stopped with my Ric when I read mr. Halls advise. As far as I remember it could also lead to a socalled "rubber neck".

Otherwise I certainly agree with you in that cleaning is much easier with strings removed.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:57 pm 

I've always changed them in two stages. E-D plus octaves 1st, then G-E plus octaves 2nd. I find this the easiest way to do it and I've had no problems. The only difficulty I've experienced is sometimes removing the strings from the tuning pegs in the recess, I have a 360/12V64 so it doesn't go straight through the headstock.
A few days ago I put a set of flats on it for the first time, and as well as sounding better, it feels much easier to play.

Board index » Setup And Technical