Board index » Setup And Technical

Post subject: Advice for using Ric knobs and stereo set-up
 Post Posted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:12 pm 

Now that I have 2 amps, I would like to try the Ric-O-Sound feature of my Ric 360 6-string. I have a 20W AC30-ish amp (TopHat Club Royale, which is a Vox AC30 front end married to an 18 watt Marshall back end) and a 5W Champ clone (in a Tweed Deluxe-size cab with 12" speaker). A few questions as I embark on this:

1. I'm used to using a Tele which is a lot more straight-forward in terms of knobs. How do people tend to use the Ric's separate volume and tone knobs for each pick-up, particularly when running in stereo? How do you adjust overall volume in order to access various degrees of crunch from the amp when there are separate knobs for each pick-up? How do you utilize the Ric's 5th tonal knob?

2. For set-up, I was thinking neck pick-up to the TopHat (clean) with effects (delay and/or trem) and bridge pick-up to the Champ (dirty) with no effects. Other suggestions?

Post subject: Re: Advice for using Ric knobs and stereo set-up
 Post Posted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:30 am 

It's actually rather simple. You use the pickups volume knobs to set the volume, usually full on, and the tone controls to set how you like the tone, then the 5th knob is like a balance between the 2. You may be over-thinking this process.

Post subject: Re: Advice for using Ric knobs and stereo set-up
 Post Posted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:36 pm 

Exactly - it's essentially the same as with your Tele, except that one pickup and one set of controls goes to each amp. The 5th knob is actually nothing more than an extra volume control for the neck pickup, but it works (a little) as a balance control because the neck pickup is inherently slightly louder normally, so it seems to shift the final balance a bit. It doesn't affect the bridge pickup at all.

That mix of clean/deep/delay/trem on the neck pickup and overdriven/bright/dry on the bridge works really well by the way.

Board index » Setup And Technical