Board index » Setup And Technical

Post subject: Advice on Bridge Buzz on 360/6
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:40 am 

Hi, I have a bit of a weird problem. My g string is buzzing at the bridge quite a bit when I fret at the 2nd and 3rd fret... It doesn't buzz open, and it's not buzzing on a fret, I can clearly hear it buzzing at the bridge... After the 2nd and third fret it no longer buzzes anywhere... I've tried lightly sanding the bridge saddle, applying a small amount of nut sauce and changing to a new set of D'addario 10-46's... same problem...

The buzz is more noticeable acoustically than through my amp, but it's still plenty annoying... The guitar is a 2003 stock 360/6 and wasn't doing this for the first 6 months that i had it... it started this up recently...

Any idea why that string would be buzzing like this?

Thanks for any help!!

Take care

Mark

Post subject: Re: Advice on Bridge Buzz on 360/6
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:57 pm 

The nut may be cut just a little low for that string or you might have a slight dip in the neck at the first few frets.

Temporarily loosten the G-string, put a small piece of tin foil in the string slot at the neck to act as a shim, and then re-tighten the string.

If the problem goes away, bingo! get the nut repaired. See the topic "nut replacement" in this forum.

You can also temporarily shim the saddle on both sides with paper or thin cardboard and underneath with a toothpick to eliminate any possible movement to see if that is the culprit.

When all else fails, there is no substitute to having a guitar tech take a look at it live. They can probably fix your problem in a flash.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:12 am 

thanks very much for your suggestion...

doesn't seem to be the culprit... the string is still buzzing (or maybe a better way to describe it is "ringing" at the bridge, when fretted at the 2nd and 3rd fret... It doesn't sound like fretbuzz... it's a ringing/buzzy kind of sound at the bridge... nowhere else on the guitar... guess I will have a tech look at it...

Thanks

Mark

Post Posted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:15 am 

Sounds like a sympathetic vibration to me. Are any of the bridge springs loose? They are a common source of this kind of buzz. First thing to do is to find out which spring is the trouble maker. Deaden the springs one by one with a wad of paper, some foam or even a cotton ball. If one of the springs turn out to be the source, there are a couple of quick fixes you can try. One is Elmer's glue. Just squirt a small dab into the coils of the spring to deaden the vibration. The best part of this solution is that it's nearly invisible, will stay put as long as you need it and the Elmer's will pop off with no fuss or residue if you ever need to adjust the saddle. The other solution is to take off the spring and stretch it. This will change the spring's tension slightly when it's compressed and hopefully change the frequency that it vibrates.

There could be several other sources of sympathetic vibrations to consider. The length of string behind the bridge that runs back to the tailpiece. Part of the wiring may be resting against the pickguard. There could simply be a loose screw or nut somewhere, check out the bridge's four height adjustment screws. Talk about an odd one, the tang on my 620's input jack vibrates in D. Stick a plug in it and the buzz disappears.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:38 am 

The four bridge height screws are a common cause of buzzes - technically, it should be impossible for all four to be really pressing hard on the bridge baseplate at the same time, there will always be three that are tight and one that's a bit looser, and it can buzz. In reality you can usually tweak them so that all four are reasonably tight, because the bridge is not perfectly rigid. It's worth testing the tightness of them all with the Allen wrench, and see if you can get a better adjustment. If you can, and you're happy with the set-up, it's then a good idea to lock it into place with some nail polish or superglue on the screw threads where they go through the baseplate. (Be careful not to drip any on the finish!)

Post Posted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:59 pm 

Thanks very much for all these suggestions... I will be trying them out today...

Thanks again!

Take care

Mark

Board index » Setup And Technical