Board index » Setup And Technical

Post subject: treble pu ?
 Post Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:28 am 

I saw a bass on ebay and the seller said the back pu was weak. The bass had no treble pu cover. Both of my 4003's had to have the treble pu's replaced. I play without the treble pu cover. when someone takes the pu cover off, does it decrease the life of that p/u?

Post subject: Re: treble pu ?
 Post Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 7:10 am 

It is supposed to help in shielding, but most people take 'em off. I took mine off a '76(4000) back in '86 & played it that way since with no ill effects.
My '77(4001) & '81(4080) both have lost their covers at some point. The '81 is LOUD & PUNCHY, though the '77 had also lost the bridge pup & the neck pup wasn't working when I got it, most likely due to abuse than anything else.
I put the cover from my '76 on the 4080, since it looks cooler there.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 7:37 am 

With the cover off, it's easier to physically damage the pickup; otherwise, it will not shorten its life.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:13 am 

Thanks Guys, I was just wondering, I wonder if anyone has lost their back p/u with the cover always on.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:05 pm 

If you saw the covers on my tele and LP you would put all your covers back on. Let's just say I play with verve. I don't hit (much) the Rick covers interestingly. I tend to lay my wrist on the tailpiece which stops the abuse.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:26 am 

This actually happened to a guy in a store 20 years ago, and I had the answer then, and unless the pickup is damaged, it is the same answer now: carefully remove the control plate of the bass and make sure the inline capacitor to the bridge pickup is the bass capacitor and not the guitar capacitor, or if the inline capacitor has deteriorated. You can check by jumping the capacitor. If it is a wrong or deteriorated capacitor, you should get all the signal and tone back, and then some.

This is all the new vintage/modern switch is on new Ricks: down is wired directly, pulled is wired through the traditional inline capacitor before the controls.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:50 pm 

Quote:
carefully remove the control plate of the bass and make sure the inline capacitor to the bridge pickup is the bass capacitor and not the guitar capacitor.

There is no difference in the cap value between bass and guitar. They are both 0.047 microfarads.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:44 am 

That plastic cover is chrome plated,and grounded.It is sheilding for the bridge pickup;so that any interference is re-directed to ground & not amplified.It is not merely decorative,but it is in the way for some of us.All of my RIC basses have one (except the one with the Horse-shoe pickup),and I guess I'm just used to it.I'm sure that it does protect the pickup from damage,somewhat.Mostly from spilled beer...(>_<)...

Post Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:50 am 

Quote:
Quote:
carefully remove the control plate of the bass and make sure the inline capacitor to the bridge pickup is the bass capacitor and not the guitar capacitor.

There is no difference in the cap value between bass and guitar. They are both 0.047 microfarads.

That would be .0047uF.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:02 am 

Sorry John - You're right. Sometimes I try to type faster than I should.

Board index » Setup And Technical