Board index » Setup And Technical

Post subject: Horseshoes on a 4003
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:01 am 

Love my 2009 4003. I left the cover on the treble PU, I rest my hand there. But to me, it looks like plastic. And if I remove the cover, I really don't care for those aftermarket bezels or surrounds. IMO, it would look cooler with the horseshoe appearance. If I came across some C64 shoes (just the shoes), would modding my hi-gain to accommodate the shoes interfere with its performance because of the added metal?

Post subject: Re: Horseshoes on a 4003
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:17 am 

Shoes won't fit a hi-gain pickup, as the pickup is to thick, partly due to the magnet under the bobbin, which you need to make the hi-gain work.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:51 am 

I have *never* understood how people are able to magically tell the pickup cover is plastic. If I had never read that, I still wouldn't know. I think it looks pretty classy, although I'm one of those that takes it off.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:04 am 

Quote:
Shoes won't fit a hi-gain pickup, as the pickup is to thick, partly due to the magnet under the bobbin, which you need to make the hi-gain work.

Thank you! Great info.

Quote:
I have *never* understood how people are able to magically tell the pickup cover is plastic.

Probably because it looks too perfect. Metal, after time, would probably begin to show some dings or crimps along the edges, dimple a bit or slightly deform creating differences in what is being reflected in it. But when a surface that large is perfectly perfect (how's that for superlatives), it seems unnatural.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:24 am 

Maybe have a metal replacement machined? I mean, if it's that important to you.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:49 pm 

Some people are detail guys. Depends on where one's talents and passions are. I am a commercial photographer by profession, and also have restored several historic houses, and restored my studio which was built as a corner market some 80 years ago.

I also built my cabs. I bought the plan on-line, but styled them to my tastes. I wrapped them in Fender tweed, and shellac'd them, Left them sans-grill and used veneers and inlays on the speaker baffles, and powder coated the handles and corners to a custom color and finish.

I'm a beginning musician, I first started playing the bass when I bought my very first instrument in Jan of '10. Wanted a Rickenbacker bass since I was 13 and saw Roger Glover playing one. (I just turned 50). I'm a rock and roller at heart having grown up in the '70's, and music, hi-fi, and audio/visual production has always been a big part of my life. I've a high school kid teaching me to read music and play, he's great. For lessons he shows up with Pink Floyd, Pretenders, Bob Marley, Cream, Ramones, Beatles, ACDC.

So I guess I'm scratching several itches here. And loving every minute of it. Especially the ability of all this free exchange of ideas with these on-line discussion forums!

Post Posted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:25 am 

Quote:
SI am a commercial photographer by profession

Do you shoot any b&w film, past and/or present?

Post Posted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:35 am 

A thought....... I know that some forumites have used HB1s and Toasters in the bridge position - these have magnetic pole pieces rather than the hi-gain rubber bar magnet. I would guess that these would work with a pair of shoes....

An alternative is to remove the bar magnet on your higain, unscrew the pole pieces and have replace them with some alnico magnet rods. I'm not sure how expensive this will be....

Post Posted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:55 am 

Quote:
A thought....... I know that some forumites have used HB1s and Toasters in the bridge position - these have magnetic pole pieces rather than the hi-gain rubber bar magnet. I would guess that these would work with a pair of shoes....

An alternative is to remove the bar magnet on your higain, unscrew the pole pieces and have replace them with some alnico magnet rods. I'm not sure how expensive this will be....

Um, an HB-1 is a dual coil rail humbucker, with the ceramic bar magnet between the rails, and the rails going through the center of the bobbins.

Second, the modern shoes, which are magnetic, but not magnets themselves, as were the original horseshoes, do contact four large diameter Alnico slug magnet polepieces and then wrap around, as the slugs are flush with the bottom of the bobbin, it is designed as a unit. On toasters the magnets stick out the bottom on the current issue, so you don't have enough clearance of the spread of the shoes.

Board index » Setup And Technical