Board index » Setup And Technical

Post subject: Settings to get a certain sound...(The Smiths)
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:58 pm 

Hello, I'm new to this forum.
I've been playing my Rick 330 for a couple of years and I love it, but I am by no means technically minded. I mainly played acoustic for many years but have recently bought several new bits, so I am using a Fender Deluxe Amp, and have a Boss ME-70 effects board.
I just wondered if anyone with more experience had any pointers on how they would set the tone controls, effects pedals and mix levels to achieve a sound similar to that of early Smiths albums, and R.E.M around the Murmur and Reckoning period. I have been messing around for some time but just can't quite get a sound I'm happy with, and I was hoping any of you guys might be able to tell me how you'd recommend setting my equipment to get it's full potential on both the Rick with it's tone controls and the amp, along with any settings you'd recommend.

I hope I'm not asking too much, but thanks for taking the time to read this post!

Post subject: Re: Settings to get a certain sound...(The Smiths)
 Post Posted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:34 am 

First, welcome. Now, the problem with trying to "copy" someone elses tone is gigantic. Even if you were to duplicate every single piece of gear, including whatever was used for the studio recordings, you still would make a sound that sounds like you, not the artist you're trying to copy. A big part of anyone's sound, is their personal approach and playing style. Your best bet is to work on your own style, and create your own sound. And, have fun in the process.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:49 pm 

Quote:
Hello, I'm new to this forum.
I've been playing my Rick 330 for a couple of years and I love it, but I am by no means technically minded. I mainly played acoustic for many years but have recently bought several new bits, so I am using a Fender Deluxe Amp, and have a Boss ME-70 effects board.
I just wondered if anyone with more experience had any pointers on how they would set the tone controls, effects pedals and mix levels to achieve a sound similar to that of early Smiths albums, and R.E.M around the Murmur and Reckoning period. I have been messing around for some time but just can't quite get a sound I'm happy with, and I was hoping any of you guys might be able to tell me how you'd recommend setting my equipment to get it's full potential on both the Rick with it's tone controls and the amp, along with any settings you'd recommend.

I hope I'm not asking too much, but thanks for taking the time to read this post!

What year is your 330?

I'm not familiar with REM's gear, but I am with the Smiths. Even though Johnny Marr used a Telecaster on This Charming Man, the 330 is a good guitar for an early Smiths sound. On the first record he used a Boss CE-1 chorus ensemble, which are very pricey. Live he used a Boss CE-2, throughout the Smiths. You can get a Made In Taiwan CE-2 for fairly cheap.

An early Smiths sound would be the bridge pickup, tone all the way up, through a chorus. That's it in a nutshell. If you wanted to spend a little more, he used a Roland JC120 amp for some of the first album, and often live as well.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:19 pm 

He used fender twin amps and a 330/12.
However you can check out daniel earwicker on youtube and he nails his sound and his Ric collection is nice.

I like his "how soon is now" video how he take you though it.
Good luck brother :)

Board index » Setup And Technical