Board index » Setup And Technical

Post subject: So I Re-Strung My 360 12-String Last Night....
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:03 am 

....and what a ____ it was!! It took me nearly 6 hours! The guitar tech who had set it up for me a few months ago, strung it with 2 of the strings improperly "crossed" in the headstock, so the 2 of the tuners were adjusting the wrong strings!! I suppose he realized he messed up, but was in a hurry and decided to keep stringing it, Grrr!

It took me 1 hour and 15 minutes to get the strings off of the guitar because he had strung them with the slight excess of the string wrapped into the coils. As you probably know, the 360-12 has interlocking tuners. Well it sure was a pain trying to get the tiny loops of strings out of the horizontal turners with tweezers.

Then I spent about 45 minutes giving my Rick some all-out cleaning love with a fret board lemon-cleaner and guitar cleaner for the rest of it, until you could see yourself in the guitar's reflection.

After that, it took me nearly 4 hours to study, carefully restring it, without hurting the guitar with any tools. What took up the lionshare of the time was slick strings not coiling correctly. I've found the guitar stays in tune better when the coils are not crossed as they wrap around the post. Then I spent almost a half hour tuning and re-tuning everything until it was nearly perfect.

Despite the ranting, this guitar is one of my dream guitars. I love it to death and can't believe it is really mine every time I open the case. It's the most well-constructed guitar I have ever come across - the craftsmanship is superb!

**My only complaint is the signature R Rickenbacker tailpiece. Why can't Rickenbacker make LOOPS for the string spools at the end instead of slots that the strings can slip out of when you're trying to re-string?!

PS: Do I just suck at stringing my Rickenbacker 360-12 or am I right that this is a VERY tedious process? How long did it take you guys to string the first time? Nearly 6 hours seems ridiculously excessive!! Sorry, but I just had to vent...

Post subject: Re: So I Re-Strung My 360 12-String Last Night....
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:01 am 

I feel your pain, when i got my 480 it took me FOREVER to re-string it because of that bloody R tail-peace, honestly its so frustrating. I can't even imagine the horrors of re-stringing a 12 string with the R tail-peace. Fair play to you

Post Posted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:12 am 

I place the string end in the R tailpiece, then under a capo on the neck to keep it taught while planting the end in the keywind.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:22 am 

Chris at POTR re-strings and sets up my Rick 12-stringers for less than $100....well worth it!

Post Posted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:13 am 

I have 3 RIC 12 strings (360,360 WB,620)...here's a few tips to make it easier...after removing the strings,and cleaning your guitar,remove the "R" tailpiece,put a piece of masking tape over the slots (on the back),and put all 12 strings in the holes...put the tailpiece back on,string the regular strings through the posts and tune,then the octave/unison strings...after tuning everything to pitch again,cut off the excess...after doing mine like this for years,I found that this is the way that they do it at the factory!With a little practice,this can be done in 30 minutes or so...

Post Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:26 pm 

Thanks I'm going to try that, I have to admit I have had the same set on for over a year now! The guitar still sounds and plays great.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:56 am 

Look at the bright side. It is now none correctly and the next time it will go much faster. I posted the following on the Deja Vu section of the forum and I hope that it will help the next time around,,,

RESTRINGING A 12 STRING RICKENBACKER

First, I remove the bridge cover and place a cotton diaper under the tailpiece to avoid scratching the finish and then remove the old strings. With the new strings in hand, I replace first the slotted strings (Headstock) followed by the others. (See the restringing order below). The procedure is the same whether I am using the "R" tailpiece or the Trapeze tailpiece. I place all of the strings in the slots and place a small piece of masking tape on the bottom side or the tailpiece (Especially the "R" tailpiece) to hold them in place and leave the cotton diaper underneath to keep the tailpiece from scratching the body. I then place a Kyser Capo with a weakened spring around the 5th or 6th fret to hold everything in place.
The actual order that I restring is:
11-2-9-4-7-6-12-1-10-3-8-5
The reason I do it this way is to balance the "R" or the Trapeze tailpiece while restringing.

Steve

Post Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:43 am 

I just do it one string at a time, always maintaining a grip on the new string with my right hand to keep tension on it. No masking tape -- no capo. It takes me about two hours on my 370/12 for a complete change, versus 45 minutes or so for a standard 6 string guitar. I never hurry a string change.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:14 am 

I must confess I don't re-string my 360-12WB FG ckbd as often as I probably should, because of the focus and time commitment involved. Yes, getting plain strings to seat in the horizontal tuners is a lot like herding cats. What I have done is to pre-measure and pre-cut the string, then put a 90 degree bend in it about 3/4 inch in so it will grab around the post as you tighten it up.

Also, taking a set of plain metal "vintage" mandolin bushings, trimming them, and fitting them around the shafts of the horizontal tuners has given me a bearing surface so the old original Kluson tuners function much more smoothly.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:12 pm 

I use many of the techniques already listed when I restring mine. I: remove all of the old strings and clean - polish. Use a bed as my workbench and place a washcloth under the tailpiece. Thread the low E octave string through the bridge and insert the ball into the tailpiece slot. Cut the string 2-3 inches beyond the tuning post (more for smaller gauges). I keep tension on the string by running it over my left wrist as my finger and thumb guide and direct it to the tuning post hole. I'm right-handed, it grabs the string winder. I crank slowly and allow the string to follow and turn untill the cut-off end is facing me. I then pull that end taught so that the string has a sharp angle at the point where it exits the tuning post hole. Then, start cranking, allowing the string to overlap. This puts pressure on the string below and stops it from slipping, also allows you to guide the string so it does'nt touch the wood. Keep constant tension as you tighten & gradually remove your wrist or finger.

Board index » Setup And Technical