Board index » Setup And Technical

Post subject: Re: So I Re-Strung My 360 12-String Last Night....
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:32 am 

(Sigh!) No, I don't restring my 360-12WB FG ckbd as often as I should, either. All these tips posted above are worthwhile. This gets really out there, but depending on the personality of the person stringing the guitar, some of the tips will help, others will just be more frustration. Personally, I tend to take the "top" strings off, change the "slot" strings one at a time, then reinstall the "top" strings.

I have also found on the "slot" strings, that estimating the finished length as the string will be with about three turns, cutting the string to that length, taking a pair of needle-nosed pliers and bending the tip about 1/2 inch at a right angle, then feeding that through the hole in the tuner post, helps the tuner post grab the string and prevent slippage as the string is being tuned up.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:53 pm 

I haven't matched Paul W's 18 minutes and some seconds, but I can restring mine, casually in about 30-45 minutes. I usually use a capo.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:15 pm 

BlueRick wrote:
I haven't matched Paul W's 18 minutes and some seconds.

A minute and half per string to re-string a 12-string is an impressive time. That kind of performance could get you a spot to go for the gold (desert gold) in the "Fastest Re-String of a Rick 12-Stringer" event at the Guitar Olympics.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:39 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

DuaLeaD wrote:
PS: Do I just suck at stringing my Rickenbacker 360-12 or am I right that this is a VERY tedious process? How long did it take you guys to string the first time? Nearly 6 hours seems ridiculously excessive!!

No comment, other than to say the guys in the factory do it in under 15 minutes! It's the difference that lots of practice makes.

There's a sign hanging in our customer service department, echoing something they've heard many customer say on the phone to them:

"I just changed the strings on my 12-stringer and I'm so mad . . . it took me TWICE as long as my six string!"

Post Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:10 pm 

While on the subect. I have 3 Q's

So it's Ok to take all the strings off at once, and clean and re string? on a 6 string

Also do you find you have to make a truss rod adjustment if putting the same gauge stings on, every time or just sometimes?

Finally If one want to use a D# tuning a semitone down from concert pitch on a 6 string long scale,,,whats is the best string gauge, and should I go up to 11's ???

Thanks in advance

jbudweiser

Post Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:31 am 

Yes it takes a bit longer, but I've never understood what's all the hurry?

Post Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:03 am 

Uffingdon wrote:
Yes it takes a bit longer, but I've never understood what's all the hurry?

So one can get back to playing the guitar, the prospect of which is all the more enticing with new strings. :lol:

Post Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:26 am 

jbudweiser wrote:
...do you find you have to make a truss rod adjustment if putting the same gauge stings on, every time or just sometimes?

Generally the only time truss will need adjustments is when the seasons change (e.g. dry winter to humid summer) or if you are changing string gauges (and it won't even matter sometimes if the gauge is close.

I have a small practice room and prefer to keep my instruments in a fairly stable environment and have only had to adjust one of my guitars ( a tele) in recent memory. I do take them out to practice and gig but I also always store them in their cases. The Tele was in a gig bag which may explain it's change. I live in the desert and probably run the humidifier about 8 months out of the year and keep it about 35-45%.

jbudweiser wrote:
Finally If one want to use a D# tuning a semitone down from concert pitch on a 6 string long scale,,,whats is the best string gauge, and should I go up to 11's ???

I have not tried this but have used things similar in the past. Figure out your tension now and determine what gauge would give you a similar tension when tuned down 1/2 step.
http://www.mcdonaldstrings.com/stringxxiii.html

Post Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:19 pm 

Willie! Thanks for the info and link

jbudweiser

Post Posted: Wed May 04, 2011 6:38 am 

Re-strung my 620-12 last night. I have only had the thing for a few weeks and new it needed strings but was a little worried about being able to do it myself. I have a rule about owning guitars that I can't put stings on by myself (I won't own them), so I went ahead and gave it a shot. It was actually easier than re-stringing a guitar with a Floyd Rose Tremolo - those are very interesting.

I just wanted to say that all of the tips in this topic really (really) helped. I would not have thought to tape the "R" tailpiece or to use a capo without this topic, and likely would have struggled quite a bit without those tips. It took me several hours, but as many have said on this topic, "what's the rush"? Plus I had a couple of adult beverages during the process - which always helps.

The only thing I screwed up was to not re-install the truss rod cover. I need to make a small truss rod adjustment, and so left the cover off. Now (obviously it seems) I can't re-install the cover as the octave strings preclude that. I suppose loosening them enough will let me slide the cover back into place after the truss rod adjstment(s).

I didn't like this guitar at first, but with new strings and some adjustmenst, it will come to me.

Thanks for all the tips provided here....

Board index » Setup And Technical