Board index » Setup And Technical

Post subject: McGuinn adjusts his 12
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:09 am 

I have a DVD called The 12-string Guitar of Roger McGuinn which is a very good little limpse at how Roger plays his RIC. At one point he shows how to adjust action by adjusting the trusses. Have you seen this and is there anything you might add to his advice?

Post subject: Re: McGuinn adjusts his 12
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 6:25 am 

I have the same video (I think) where he plays Mr.Tamborine Man and Turn, Turn, Turn. I could not see how high the action was on his guitar before he adjusted the neck. I have more or less followed his advice before and found that it was fairly easy to do.

My concern with the video is that there are places in Turn, Turn, Turn where what I hear/see him plaing does not seem to match the tablature that he provides with it. I even bought a computer program to slow down his plaing to try to figure it out, but I still have my doubts. Do you think the tab is correct the whole way through?

Post Posted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 6:36 am 

Well, to be honest, I've never looked at the Tab that came with it, so I guess someone else in the forum may have the answer. I know he is such a proficient finger picker that he probably does improvise somewhat when he does his standards.

On the action, he states in the video he likes to keep it low at all times so I assume it wasn't too high to begin with. When he shows how he feels it should be, it is fairly low before he makes the adjustment. He also apparently tunes a step down (or half step).

I guess I am windering if you can tinker too much with the truss rods. Or when is it advisable to adjust the rbidge as opposed to the trusses?

Post Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 6:35 am 

I listened to/watched that part of Roger's video where he adjusts his truss rods. He said that he did it quite frequently and that, as long as it is done properly, it does no harm. He likes his neck absolutely flat, without any bowing. You can adjust the neck or the bridge or both to get the action that you want. One warning has to do with older RICs. I do not know the details, but earlier RICs (before what year I do not know) you could damage the neck if you adjusted it improperly. I have heard discussions about separating the finger board from the rest of the neck. Perhaps someone else can tell you more about that. If your RIC is new, then I would not worry about it.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:54 am 

So..where can a guy get this DVD? Whataya say about a novice getting a 12 string? I always thought of it as an experts, speciality guitar, that is complicated to tune and restring. I've never even handled one but, love that sound!

Post Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 4:40 am 

I got my McGuinn DVD on Amazon. He also has one on home recording that has some good ideas.

As far as getting a 12, try the 360 style neck and the 660 and see which works for your fingers. I am fortunate that I don't have large fingers so can play both style necks and I own both. Some guys prefer the extra room the 660 affords.

But don't let the extra strings scare you off. RICs are made so well with such nice string pairings that they are a breeze to play. I have a friend who is a great finger picker who owns a Martin 12. He picked up my RIC 360 and was blasting out Mr. Tambourine Man in minutes.

12s are great for chording and rythmn and if you follow McGuinn's advice and get good at finger-style picking, you can make a RIC 12 sing.

My advice, GO FOR IT!

Post Posted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 4:37 am 

Also found it on Homespun. They've got lots of great stuff. gonna get me that pick-n-chair they've got.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 11:44 pm 

Quote:
He also apparently tunes a step down (or half step).

I've entertained the idea of tuning a step down and then capo-ing. In doing so, would I need to reset the neck because of less tension?

Sorry if this is obvious to others, I've never messed with guitars, other than playing them!

Post Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:29 am 

I have never tuned my 360/12 down like Roger does. I do not know why they do it. Does it make it easer to play? Does it change the tone? I know the obvious, ie. all tones are a half step lower when you tune to E flat, but what is the deal?

Post Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:51 am 

I've assumed it's for less tensioned strings, making playability just a bit easier.
But I'm starting to get into bending on my 12, and sometimes capoed strings get disagreeable after doing so.

Board index » Setup And Technical